KC Splan asked in PetsCats · 4 weeks ago

People who have moved out of state with pets, I have a question?

So next week I am moving out of state 8 hrs away into a house and I am trying to figure out how yall did it driving that distance or longer with cats. 

Not trying to keep them cramped in their tiny carriers the entirety of the ride, so need other possible options. I drive a 2013 Honda crv.

Thanks in advance!!

Btw, obligatory picture of Rosa (left) and Mio (right)

Karen L - I don't appreciate your condescending tone 

• ?

Super cute cats!!

I strongly suggest you keep them in their secure carriers the entire trip.  Feed them a couple hours before you leave so they'll potty and be empty for the trip and give them only water during the trip if you feel they need it.  They can "hold it" and are MUCH safer in the carriers.  If a cat escapes into an unfamiliar environment you will probably never see it again.  They won't be happy about this, don't let that deter you from keeping your babies as safe as possible.  I also suggest you pick up some wild caught (smellier and oiler than farmed) salmon to keep in your freezer.  If you cat gets out at the new home it will hide and I've brought many a hiding kitty out of hiding by simmering wild salmon in a pot just big enough to hold the piece of fish barely covered with low salt chicken broth.  Get the windows and doors open, maybe set up a fan to get as much of that salmon smell out in the neighborhood as possible.  Not only will your kitty likely show up, but every cat within half a mile will come a runnin.  I discovered this trick when making pet food, I had found some gorgeous salmon heads that had huge chunks of jowl meat on them, whoever had cut up the salmon apparently wasn't aware that the jowl is the best meat on the salmon.  I cut off the jowls for me and was simmering the heads with broth to make cat and dog food (mixed with cooked rice and veges after I separate the cooked meat and soft tissue from the bones, makes GREAT pet food) - it was warm outside so I had the house open and fans on - and I realized that a half dozen cats I'd never seen before were on my deck.  I lived in the country and there was a lot of space between the houses, these were obviously pet cats and I had never seen any of them before.  It was also clear from their body language they didn't know each other either.  Anyway, I gave everybody a serving of fish head soup when it was cooled and they ate it and I never saw any of them again, but the next time a housemates kitty his (the first time she let him out) I remembered the experience, fired up a pot of wild caught salmon and had him in the house in half an hour.Good luck with your move and your lovely cats!!

8 hours? Put the cats in carriers, put them in the car, and start driving. One cat per crate, unless they are really really really good friends. Most cats won't eat or drink during a drive, if they do they are likely to throw it up anyway, and if they don't eat or drink they won't need to pee or poop, and 8 hours without either won't hurt them if they are reasonably healthy to begin with. Maybe you need bigger carriers, if the ones you have are that small. For more than a half hour trip, the carrier needs to be big enough for the cat to stand up full height, and to turn around.

Unless you know for an absolute fact because you have already done it that these cats will stay quietly in one place during the trip, a loose cat in a car is a recipe for disaster, so it's best they stay in crates the whole time. If they're loose in the car they can and probably will climb onto the dashboard, or worse, up inside the dashboard, or they get under the pedals, or get their claws into your neck. All make for dangerous driving. And you don't dare open a door or window with a cat loose in the car. They may be out before you know it.

I have always contained my cats in carriers in a car, gor their own safety.

One curled up and slept the whole way. The other yowled the whole way. The next move I obtained a safe tranquilizer for the one that yowls from my vet.  Result was both cats sleeping for the whole trip.