Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 4 weeks ago

Etiquette: I am Middle Eastern. Our new neighbours are black. Since my spouse observes hijab, they ignore me totally. Shall I do the like?

Update:

My my! Such racists among us. At least most of the Middle East has minimal COVID infection, unlike the US which is number one in the world. Go USA!

10 Answers

Relevance
  • Lv 6
    5 days ago

Even as a gun-owner, I'm amazed that no one seems to mention anything but the Second Amendment. I often wonder that if not for the Second Amendment, how many people would even know that a Constitution even existed. 

• 4 weeks ago

I am not a Muslim or Abrahamic I am Buddhist but my understanding is god gave women that hijab wether I agree with it or not. It’s your faith. Either be a good Muslim to allah or be a bad Muslim. And it’s up to you to know right from wrong. I am a feminist so I disagree with your ideas of controlling women. But I agree the hijab is something special 

• Foofa
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

Or you could say hello to them like a normal person. 

• Pearl
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

i would just ignore them if theyre going to be like that

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 4 weeks ago

Chances are your neighbor has never lived near someone who observes hijab, and they don't know the right things to do or say, so they say nothing.  It's also possible they believe the false statements some people make about your culture or country, and think you are evil or dangerous.

The best thing to do is to introduce yourselves to your neighbors, and try to have a conversation with them, to help them realize you are not so different.  Even if they do not respond well, try to be nice and always smile and wave when you see them.

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

If you want to ignore them, then do it.  It's better than asking random strangers on the internet.

• 4 weeks ago

What do you mean by "Shall I do the like?"  And why do you assume that your neighbors ignore you because your spouse (I'm assuming) wears a hijab? Did they say that?

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

So ignoring is the polite thing to do right?

Have YOU tried to say hi?

They are scared of you or very wary.

Leave them be, you could wave or nod politely but don’t push it if they’re rude and ignore you.

Why mention their race?

They could be asian, white, islander, indian, whatever..

That’s irrelevant & a little racist.

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

Please go back to the Middle East. You'll be surrounded by people like you and you both will be much happier. Cheers 🙂 

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

Hi Middle Eastern. I'm Dad 👨

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.