Would you ever spend $800 dollar on an old outdated book?

I just bought Margin of safety. Book is out of print and cost about 800 bucks on amazon. I did it. 

About 40 years ago I went to a local school's sell off of old books they had in storage.

For 25 cents I bought a first edition of 'Adventures of Tom Sawyer' with a blue hard cover.  It's worth about $5grand now.

• Jim2

Well, A quick search of google shows that "Margin of Safety : Risk Averse Value Investing Strategies for the Thoughtful Investor by Seth A. Klarman (1991, Hardcover)" goes for 975.00 on Ebay. (I'd post the link, but I don't trust Yahoo not to hide my answer if I do.) But if you google #Ebay "Margin of safety" Klarman 975.00# It should be the top result. So you didn't do too badly, I suppose...

nope..............

if i were rich and it was an antique yes but i have no antiques because i'm poor

• j153e

Every dollar you make by following Klarman's advice reduces the cost of the book.

Another, future approach might be using worldcat.org and asking your local public library to interlibrary loan a copy for you, then yourself or a copying service photocopying it.  If no library (there are 75 in the US that hold a copy of Klarman's book) is willing to ILL, you might be able to negotiate one to photocopy for you.

Semi-related:  Understanding Yourself, by Mark Prophet.

I did just that thing a few years ago.

In my case, it was one of the self-published copies of Contest, by Matthew Reilly, the ones he had printed himself when no publisher would take him on.

Only a very limited number were ever printed and they have previously sold online for upwards of $3000.

I think it all depends on whether you can afford to make such a purchase, and if its worth it to you.

• Spike

NO

That NOT what call NEEDS IN LIFE to live and survive. But  you got the money to go for it. How many Low Income, Lower Middle, Class, Middle Class and Upper Middle Class have the extra money to burn like that. Whether they have a family or living on their own. 

It not something that interest me in the first place Even if was something that interest me. I have to think hard should I go for it. Because of life and what Needs vs. Wants. Unless there is a way to have both, and you would NOT feel like you boke the bank. EVEN WHEN YOU REALLY DID NOT AT ALL. By the same with NEEDS that go up and it looks like way too much or not. It life for people.

• Ludwig

I spent $100 on one, and later regretted it. 

• Speed

I would, maybe, spend that much on a collectible that meant something to me, but certainly not on a 30-year-old book about investing.

I hope you find it money well spent.