Why do new phones come with a built-in battery?

This is very uncomfortable for the user who needs to change the battery without having to take the device to the technician.

I meant, when we want to replace a problematic battery with a new one.

the battery should last until well after the phone is obsolete.  and you'll want anew one before that

• keerok

Planned obsolescence. 

The manufacturer wants you to buy a new one when the battery goes.

• David

It has been a trend to do this to make the phone thinner and lighter, but also as you say makes it difficult for the end user to replace the battery -  the manufacturers then either charge you more to replace the battery or hope that you buy a new one

It's cheaper for the manufacturer to embed the battery. That saves circuitry and eliminates need to have a door to open to access battery. I share your concern.

I guess you have not heard of USB plugs and cords for phones, or wireless charging pads for some of them.  Hard to believe you don't know about the common charging options.