Anonymous

How can i become a doctor with a face like this my future is done!?

All my life i wanted to become a doctor i worked so hard for it i got a 4.0 in college and passed the mcat (A test your take to get into medical school), but this disease on my face came 2 years ago and i feel like there is no point in doing this doctor thing anymore. 

Like i have a medical school interview soon and you already know they are going to prejudge be because of my disease and not accept me even with perfect grades. So i basically did all this for nothing i never asked for this disease i just came out of no whereEven if i did become a doctor what patients would want to risk having me do surgery on them when they probably think im slow or mentally challenge because of my face. I will probably have no patients at all. 

I'd suggest you look up model Winnie Harlow and singer Michael Jackson, both of whom have/had vitiligo. It didn't stop either of them from being successful at their chosen professions. If you're a good enough student to get into and through medical school, you can choose a medical specialty that relies primarily on referrals (such as vascular surgery) or doesn't require a lot of contact with the patients (such as anesthesia or radiology). As a doctor with vitiligo, you could be an inspiration for all the other young people who are dealing with the disease and may be depressed about their prospects. So follow your dreams and go for it.

• fcas80

If this is your issue, is it worth doing some sort of cosmetic surgery?

That's acrofacial vitiligo, which occurs when the cells that make melanin, responsible for skin pigmentation, don't do their job any more, and most of it's concentrated on the face, hands, and around all body orifices, include the eyes, nose, and mouth.

You need to see a dermatologist immediately. You also probably would benefit from a cosmetic consultation at a place that specializes in minimizing the appearance of anything imperfect about the skin, from tats to scars to disease processes. Even a trip to Sephora or Ulta can get you a foundation or coverup that will make this less stark, if covering it up is what you want to do.

I think it's a terrible mistake not to go into medicine because of your appearance. Even if patients didn't want to see you for whatever ails them (which is not a given, for the record), there are lots of jobs in medicine in which you don't directly deal with patients, or the patients don't choose you, or your interaction with them while conscious is minimal.

If you were, say, the most experienced surgeon for my condition, I would want you even if you grew horns. (Not talons, though--you'll rip your gloves.)