How to reduce echo my mic picks up?

My house has super high ceilings and nothing really to dampen the echo that i have, and my mic picks it up REALLY bad.  I've tried the thing people do where they put foam in a box and place the mic inside it but it hasnt really helped.

is my only other option to just buy the foam panels and put all over the place?

I have a friend who makes his own podcasts in his living room. When he decided to do it, he had the same problem.  BUT he didn't want his living room to be decorated with foam sheets and heavy drapes, or thick carpets.  What he did was to buy a tall room dividing screen, which he then lined ith the foam pads on one side.  His first one was only three panels, but he's slowly increased to have several.   When he's making a podcast, he puts the screen up behind him, thus cutting off the echo effect from the rest of the room.  It may look funny, but it gets the job done. AND when he's done for the day, the screen can be folded and put away. 

Do you have a closet stuffed with clothing?  Make it your recording studio.

• IOM

Try drapes, carpets, etc. That can help.