Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsDiabetes · 4 weeks ago

Should I be considered that I might be prediabet? ?

I ask this because I don’t really fit the criteria per say. I am female and I’m 5’2.5 and I weight a little over 120 pounds and I’m 23 years old. I’m pretty active on my feet because I work in a kitchen and I work full time, I’m also a full time mom too. Not always the best at getting all my meals in for the day. Yet, this brings me to the whole maybe being prediabetic part to my question. I’ve noticed I’ve been getting symptoms similar to diabetes. I’ve been excessively tired a lot, thirsty a lot, having to use the restroom frequently, I sometimes get headaches and will feel nauseous and shaky. My brain will sometimes feel foggy too. So it made me wonder if maybe there was something wrong with my blood sugar, so I got a glucose monitor. I’ve noticed that after 8-10 hours of only water, so in the morning for me, my fasting blood sugar will be anywhere between 110-122. Throughout the day it seems to be normal though, yet I’ll have those symptoms. I mentioned earlier. In the morning when it’s high I mostly feel thirsty a lot, and have to use the restroom. Do you think I might be prediabetic and need to schedule an appointment? Or that I’m fine. 

Since you have no idea what any of the value you get mean, STOP playing with a glucose meter and see a doctor. 

• Shay

By the time you actually have symptoms from diabetes - you ARE diabetic.  There are NO symptoms for "pre-diabetes".  Prediabetes is the point when doctors notice that you are at risk for becoming diabetic and start giving you information (and sometimes medication) to try to  prevent actual diabetes from happening.  

If you are doing your fasting readings correctly, those numbers would indicate a possible problem.  But it is NOT enough to be the reason for your symptoms.  There must be something else that is happening and whatever it is might also be the reason your glucose levels aren't exactly right on the fasting readings.  

It is time to get a doctor's appointment for a full check up and blood work so that a doctor can determine what is actually happening.  

You really want to know?  Get an A1c test from your doctor.

• If those ARE diabetic symptoms, you would be diabetic, not pre-diabetic. (I'm not saying it couldn't be something else or even nothing).

Your fasting glucose number is a concern. It sounds like the symptoms are problematic for you, so see a doctor. Or at the very least go to CVS and get an A1C test.

See a doctor if you are concerned about your health.

There are many possible causes and unless you are a trained in diagnostics you are a fool to try and self diagnose.

One of the first things learnt by those being trained in diagnostics is to not attempt self diagnosis.