Goerge
Goerge asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 1 month ago

Is there anything interesting about how you make pancakes?

Please share your tips and tricks for your pancakes. 

I'll start this off with frying them in rendered bacon fat instead of oil or butter. Never could I go back to the limp pancakes of long ago. The crispiness imparted by the fat brings so much flavor and a welcome crispy crunch to the outside of the pancake. 

@Anony I like to use beaten egg whites for my Belgian waffles. I cook those in bacon fat as well. 

Same here, I have had roommates who would beat the living crap out of the batter. The same applies to cake batter. I've not heard about adding beer but I'll be looking into that. 

Speaking of cake and going off topic just a bit, try replacing the water called for in chocolate cake with freshly brewed hot coffee. 

I haven't thought about using pancakes for what is essentially SOS. Thanks for the tip. 

• CB

I use a non stick griddle with just a very light smear of vegetable oil and Aunt Jeremiah complete, crunchy pancakes just don't cut it for me. I do add either thin sliced bananas or fresh blueberries quite often. For a real treat cover the cooked pancakes in breakfast sausage gravy instead of syrup - crazy good. 

Also make a cornbread batter and cook in belgian waffle maker until crispy on the edges great with smoked pulled pork too.

To get them fluffy I use my mother's trick. If I do not have buttermilk I sour some fresh milk by putting a little bit of white vinegar in a cup of fresh milk and let it sit until it curdles then I add it to the other ingredients and cook with a rather hot pan. I did not have a girdle when I made them so i used an iron skillet and just left them on the pan a few seconds before I turned them and after that they would be golden brown and puffed up so at that point I turned th fire down before they burned and let them cook a few more minutes to get done in the middle and they came out fluffy and tasty. If I had buttermilk I would use that instead of souring fresh milk. 

• Walter

I like making pancakes in the fashion of german styles.  After a traditional pancake is made, I add butter.  Once that melts add lemon juice over the top and powdered sugar followed by syrup. 

You can also try toppings like lindonberries, homemade compotes, or changing the recipe and add bananas (personal favorite) or orange juice or orange liquor in the style of a crepe, which is related to the pancake.  

I almost never eat pancakes but when I do it's from Bob's Red Mill Whole Grain Buttermilk Pancake mix.

I've never tried using bacon fat but will next time, sounds interesting.

I usually use butter and have fruit in the batter and, of course, only use real maple syrup.

In my family growing up pancakes were always accompanied by peanut butter, jam and syrup and I still like peanut butter with pancakes, I put a spoonful of it on the side of the plate and scoop a little onto my fork for each bite.  Almond butter is good too.

I also like to have a couple pancakes with two sunnyside eggs up right on top of them and a side of bacon, syrup, the real maple stuff, of course, goes right over all of that.

But like I said, I rarely have pancakes...

I always ALWAYS mix until JUST combined; like, there's still some flour in there and some lumps. I also let the batter sit for 10-15 minutes, undisturbed before throwing them on the griddle. I learned this trick from a cooking show, and sure enough, mine are fluffy every single time. 

My grandma's old trick was to add a 1/2 cup of beer to her batter, and those were the lightest pancakes ever, something between a pancake and a crepe. I've never been able to get it right, maybe her beer was room temp or something, LOL. 

beat those egg whites into stiff peaks.

OR Japanese souffle pancakes!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4VYMNUg3QM

Youtube thumbnail

Imagine the fluffiness of this and the crunchiness of your bacon oil!

ALSO, heat that syrup, get the freshly tapped one some grandma took from a sap sold at an artisanal farmer's market. I think the dark AA grade is supposed to be good. put a glob of butter in that syrup. You'll taste that butter so much more than you would where that dab of butter is on the pancake.

You can also turn it into a fondue experience with chocolate or matcha dip.