Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw Enforcement & Police · 4 weeks ago

Why do people fail to realise there are in fact good police officers out there?

You are right. Whatever their reasons for joining the police and whatever their own political views, these people put their own lives on the line every day protecting us and our homes from criminals, muggers, murderers, drug dealers, con-men, extortionists, wife-beaters, child molesters ... and all manner of undesirable scumbags.  If that taints their view of apparent criminality and hardens their hearts a little, frankly, I am not surprised.

Most cops want to do good. Most cops want to protect their communities. If a cop orders me to stop, I stop. If there is no reason for it, we can sort that out. If I threaten the cop with a weapon, I can expect to be treated as a deadly threat. If I am drunk or off my head on drugs, I may lack the common sense to comply with a cop's lawful command and become violent. If so, I should expect to be treated like any other violent, non-compliant member of the public. Is that the cop's fault or my fault?

To talk of 'de-funding' the police is madness. Anarchy is not a viable alternative. We need to support and cooperate with the police in their difficult job because that helps to keep us all safer in the end. If the police need more training, give it to them. If they need better equipment, we should supply it.

Yes but none are in the U.S.. You need go overseas to meet them. 

• L

Because they are brain washed snowflakes.  There are MORE good police officers than bad ones.  Liberal snowflakes just like to jump to conclusions and blame the police for everything with NO PROOF!

• J M

They don't. That is not the problem. 

The problem is that there are in fact bad police officer out there. 

I don't know, I don't think that's true. I think the vast majority of people do in fact realize that there are good police officers out there. A lot of them. And I agree with that.

I don't think we should paint entire groups of people (really almost any group) with a broad brush as "all bad" or "all good" for that matter. 

The issue at hand is that there are more people getting killed by police in America than is really necessary. And a disproportionate number of them are black. That doesn't mean all cops are bad. It does mean that we have to figure out a way to do better. 

Assume 99% of officers don't violate the rights of citizens. 

If they don't turn in the 1% who do, they are just as complicit. 

• Murzy

The good ones need to weed out the bad ones but they don't since they protect one another.

• Kathy

Because they hear more about the bad police than the good police.

• Mark

Police have a good reputation unless you're a crook.

• Robert

People are about as stupid today as they have ever been in history.  They can't think for themselves or evaluate evidence and points of law, so they lash out and break things like the lemmings at the front of the line