Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceInvesting · 4 weeks ago

do most people think that we are going into a deep recession soon? why? how true? when?

like a depression even? or how bad? why?

how has thinking of this changed over the past year? has it changed much since March? when and why?

• Ian

Because the WORLD believes in science and the effects of Covid-19. The second wave is here for most countries (U.S. is still in 1st) so there are major disruptions on the way. Business real estate is about to take a major hit, people who have had Gov't help to get through are coming to the end of that help. Mortgages and loans have been deferred but MUST begin being paid again. Renters are being evicted and housing is on the verge of collapsing with Millions of bankruptcies and foreclosures. Add the number of small and large businesses closing and the employment numbers are going to drop into the basement.

Currently, we are in a recession due to the business shutdowns re: coronavirus as well as the high chances of Joe Biden being elected. Should he be elected, he's indicated that he will raise corporate taxes from 21% to 28% which will obviously reduce growth for businesses automatically causing layoffs and increased prices for all of us to make up part of the added costs of taxes. If Trump is re-elected and coronavirus is brought under control by early next year, I would expect a strong rebound.

• kswck2

Let's just say that I have all my Stops in place will be going into ALL cash by election time. 

• Tavy

Yes in the U.K., thousands of jobs have been lost.

• jehen

Most? - no.  Even when world markets are crashing 'most' people never believe what is happening.  The long term affects of the global pandemic are not a sure bet for a deep, broad recession, but by any measure are bad for the global economy.   No one can answer the question.  Everyone will try and all answers will be put forth.  One will be right.  And that may be by accident or by astute insight.  We won't know until its history.  So, just go about your business.  Nothing to see here....

We are already in one.  GDP has shrunk over 30%, unemployment has more than doubled.  The DJIA doesn't reflect the suffering on Main St.

• Jim2

I  have a suspicion we will. The national debt is astronomical. That's going to catch up with us some day. I hope I'm wrong though.