How are football players so big yet so fast? ?

One thing I noticed with most NFL players is that some of these guys like tight ends, linebackers, full backs, are so big yet so fast. Usually their height varies from like 5’11-6’5 and they weigh anywhere from 220-250 lbs and can run like its nothing. Can the average person with enough hard work and dedication also achieve the same results? 

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 weeks ago

Not always.  You can train quickness but not speed.  From experience, the harder I trained the slower I seemed to get.  I cut a couple tenths off my 40 time from lifting and running short sprints but never got faster as far as top speed went.  Running longer distance just gave me shin splints, worked the wrong muscle type, and may have made me slower.  I ran a 5 flat when I was 12 and never broke 4.8.

Fortunately, quickness counts for more with any good coach.

The self-proclaimed #2 football expert says that anyone can be that fast if they work hard.  He/she/it also claimed a 5.6 forty time.  He/she/it must've had a terrible work ethic.

• Cu Tie
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

Yes, the average person can achieve the same results with enough hard work and determination. Remember, hard work beats talent when talent does not work hard.

• 4 weeks ago

People blessed with size and athleticism can develop their bodies to play football. But not all football players are huge. Defensive backs are smaller than linemen, for example, but make up for their size with speed and strength. An average size person would have to work hard to make it.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.