nunchulanz asked in PetsDogs · 4 weeks ago

My puppy suddenly starts eating less and lost it's appetite....?

I think he's not sick or anything since he still have this energetic and playful demeanor. 

Usually whenever I pick up the bowl my pup knows its eating time and gets super excited, but now he's really indifferent. And when I feed him using my hands he spit the kibble out. Help.

edit: My puppy is a 4 months old shih tzu. 

take to vet. Do u worm the puppy. You could change the diet. 

Going off food is one of the first signs an owner can tell if there is something wrong with the pup.  He needs to see a Vet.  Find out why he is not eating.  Are there any other things that show he isn't well?

4-6 months is a big growing time for pups: they are teething, growing, and yours being a smaller breed, probably growing RAPIDLY and getting ready to enter the adolescent phase of his life. It's not uncommon for them to get picky about their food, and also not uncommon for them to know when they are full and to stop. This is when I started cutting down from 3 meals to 2 meals per day with my puppy. He was also teething like crazy; I was finding teeth EVERYWHERE, so I called my vet and she said to mush up his food with some warm water and he ate it that way for a time. It was easier for him to chew it. And sometimes, he would only eat once a day, at dinner. He started getting a "fear of breakfast" and would not go near his bowl. Never figured out why, but at around 8-9 months of his games and off and on eating in the morning, he just stopped one day and was BEGGING us for breakfast. Been eating it ever since. 

No healthy dog will purposely starve itself. Your puppy is growing and most likely teething. If he still won't eat, try mushing up his food. Any vomiting, lethargy, diarrhea, shaking, ect. needs to be seen by an urgent care vet. 

You might be over feeding, puppies need 4-6 puppy meals a day, ask your vet. He also might be getting bored of the food, ask your vet for a different brand of puppy food.

• Maxi

How old is this pup? Are you feeding it too many meals/too much food? I it teething? Is it drinking? Too little information in your question to give a good answer

Unfortunately, you do not give the age or breed of the puppy.  At 4 months many puppies have a decreased appetite and need to move from 3 meals down to just two. And adult teeth start coming in - also making the mouth more painful.  After 6 months of age, most puppies have done the majority of their growth and may again need LESS total food.  At 8-9 mo the molars come in and again... the mouth can be painful.  Since this is a world wide web I have NO idea of you live in the northern or southern hemisphere but outdoor HEAT can also make a dog have a much lower appetite.  

STOP FEEDING BY HAND.  Puppy will either eat - or not eat, but is not handicapped and you say is not sick.  so stop CODDLING the puppy - it will not STARVE.

Dog foods can also go rancid or have recalls.  If puppy continues to have little to no appetite (at all) you do need to see the vet and if puppy is indeed fine, ask for advice on WHETHER to gradually offer a different brand but do not keep adding other stuff to the bowl (like canned)

• Jojo

You are most likely over feeding the pup, but you don`t give any details of how often and how much you feed him, or what food you are feeding him. Or the pups age and breed.

Why are you using your hands to feed him?Just put the food down in his bowl and if does not eat  it within 3-4 minutes than take it away and offer food in his bowl 6 hours later and so on until he is hungry enough to eat.No food treats in-between the meals.If he continues to refuse food, for 36 hours consult your vet.Make sure he has water available 24 hours and if his stools are very loose and /or watery, take straight to the vet. Best to be safe than sorry where pups are concerned.

Have you been giving him the same food. If he’s getting different foods then he might have become a choosy eater. 

Take him to the vet. Just because you don’t think he’s sick doesn’t he he’s not sick. Animals like to hide their illness or pain. 

Maybe he is just bored of it. My dog had a huge appetite as a puppy, but the older he got, the less he ate. If you are giving him human food scraps, he is probably holding out for the good stuff. If you are really worried, bring him to the vet for a check up