Slow paced job, can't find me a full days work?

So I've worked in the HR/Admin side for around a year now.

When I first started there was 3 of us however one person left due to lack of work, the other hoards work and just makes the problem even worse.

This job is very slow paced, we often have busy weeks and that's really why I'm here. However most weeks are very slow, this didn't bother me at first I just used some annual leave up.

Everyone in my team is allowed to work from home besides the HR/Admin, this has never even been optional. I have Asthma and have had to use public transport everyday for the past 8 months.

I've tried talking about it, my colleague thinks I should be able to occupy my own time during work... my manager understands my grievance but can't change anything.

Meanwhile I am looking for tasks I've done loads of things they're happy with, but it's not enough to make a full days work even now there's 2 of us not 3 there isn't enough.

Now they're being a bit more strict and saying they don't really like it when I read the news or use my mobile, but I never wanted a job where there was no work... I wanted a job that would give me security to help me get a mortgage.

On top of this senior managers who spend 4/5 days at home are limiting what we can do and being very strict.

What should I do? I didn't think I joined a toxic workplace but it seems like I'm here to answer the odd phone call for those who are constantly working from home... now they want me to be bored doing it!

• Alex

I was in the same situation for about two years.  It's an odd and uncomfortable thing to not have enough work to do.

What you can do is use the spare time to boost your credentials.  Study for some new certification.  Take grad school courses and use the time to study.  Try to get your company to pay for these.  If they do, free career advancement training.  If not, then you are simply preparing yourself for a more advanced position somewhere else that will keep you busy.  Either way, it's a win for you in that you learn something new and keep yourself busy.