Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsMarriage & Divorce · 4 weeks ago

Custody question ?

Father of my kids lives in a different state he wants the kids for 3 weeks but we do not have anything set through court legally. We are going to work on a divorce would he be able to keep the kids from me if I leave them with him?.. Also I didn't work for 7 years because he did not want me to so I was a house wife. I dont ask him other than what the kid's need but he makes it hard when it comes to giving me the money. I also helped start his business  while we were married and he does not think i am entitled to anything. I would be fine with just the child support but should I try for more I have issues job wise since I didn't work for so long.. not looking for money.. Do you think i am entitled to something. Need advice dont want to seem money hungry

4 Answers

  • Foofa
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

    You're putting the cart ahead of the horse. You need to get lawyers or arbiters and get the divorce settled before any custody is awarded. No, he can't deny you at least shared custody just because you haven't worked in seven years (although you will need to start working now). But yeah, minus a court codified custody agreement he could just take the kids and there'd be nothing you can do about it. 

  • 4 weeks ago

    I think that it is rather astonishing that, with 5 kids, and a legal divorce (?), zero custody and support issues were addressed by the court. Of course you are "entitled" to a court awarded, and enforced, financial agreement. Of course you, he, and the kids ALL deserve a court settled custody/visitation arrangement. People take these steps to prevent further confusion and hostilities, not to cause them. 

  • Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

    If you are not divorced, he has the same rights that you do, with the children. Who says you have anymore rights to the children than him? He will fight you in court, to get the children, if he wants them.

  • Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

    If you don't want to lose your kids, you go to court to have legal papers drawn up regarding custody.  If you allow him to have the children for any period of time, there's nothing preventing him at the present time, from disappearing with them.  Having legal precedence over custody matters is a very big deal.  Without legal documents, asking for money will be a moot point. He can do whatever he wishes unless you ask for support thru the court system.  If you cannot trust him in general, why on Earth would you trust him for weeks at a time?  Please do the right thing for your kids before even trying to ask for $$.  Contact a lawyer ASAP. 

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.