Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 4 weeks ago

My 1 year old German shepherd might be pregnant?

So my dog went into heat about a week ago and this random black dog showed up, I think it’s an Australian cattle dog but it’s a menace right now. We were able to get her back inside before she could do anything with that dog but my little sister let her out and she came back around thirty minutes later with the black dog in tow. I don’t know what to do, we can take her to the vet and such but I’m scared she’s too young or if she’s pregnant at all. 

Vets will spay a ***** (a female dog) that is pregnant if the pregnancy is still in its earliest stages. And then you won't have to worry about an unwanted litter of pups. IF, however, your dog is determined by the vet to still be in estrus, you will need to wait until she's out of that before taking her in for surgery. Most vets WILL NOT perform spay surgery on a dog that is in estrus, because the risk of complications (including but not limited to DEATH) is greatly increased at that time.

The answer to your other question is YES, it's very likely that she's pregnant, and NO, she's not too young to either get pregnant or have the surgery.

You need to take your dog to the vet as soon as possible.

• D50

Well, if she has pups they should be easy to get rid of. I would expect a german shepherd-aussie cattle dog mix to be a pretty good dog; smart and energetic.

• Ocimom

Take her to the vet and get an emergency spay.  She is too young at a year old to safely deliver unwanted puppies.  It can ruin her growth and could affect her boning.  GSD have a lot of bone and dysplasia problems to start.

I think you are okay, she isn't ready for a standing heat yet.  She won't accept a mount until she is ready.  She should have been spayed long before she had a chance to come into heat.  You MUST keep her safe.  & please, get her spayed so she doesn't have a chance to breed.  You have not had any genetic testing yet, you have not had he hips certified or any of the other pre breeding tests.  If you did not pay thousands for her, she should not be bred.  BYBer GSDS are in piss poor shape.

• Maxi

Get the dog to the vets today

Then organise a gravid spay with the dogs vet:

If she's in standing heat, she will be 99% pregnant.  Unlike with humans, when a b itch is ready to mate, she's ready to conceive provided both partners are fertile.

Get her to your vet for a spay warning him that she might be pregnant (gravid spay)..   Puppies (which at 1, she could be said to still be) should never be producing puppies.   She should have already been spayed if, as happened, there was any possibility of her being caught when in season.

Call your vet tomorrow and book her for an emergency spay.  Problem solved

take her to the vet so they can let you know if shes pregnant

punish the little sister