Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationBuying & Selling · 1 month ago

Is it okay to purchase a cheaper new car?

So recently I was deciding on buying a new truck. I had my eye on a brand new 2020 Toyota Tacoma, money was not the issue at all here. My buddy let me test drive his and I honestly was not to crazy about it. It was cool, but just not what i was expecting. Then another truck caught my eye on carmax, a 2019 Nissan Frontier. I went to the dealership to try it out and was instantly in love with it. Super simple truck, no bells and whistles and had like 9k miles on it. And I got an amazing deal on it. I ended up buying it and have been in love with it ever since. My real question is, is it always better to have the most expensive best truck on the market? Or what you prefer?

• Fred

Stay clear of Nissan as they are nearly bankrupt.  I think I read that their CEO in Japan fled to Israel as it has no extradition agreement with Japan.  Nissan has been struggling for years and is lucky still to be operating.  I also read that Nissan went cap in hand to their investors recently begging for money to keep them from Bankruptcy.  Many car experts on the internet are saying stay away from Nissan.  Their dual cab 4WDs apparently have a lower crash rating than Toyota and you have double the chance of being killed in an accident in the Nissan than the equivalent Toyota.

Toyota is the best car manufacturer in the world and the biggest and their vehicles are noted for their reliability and long life.  Yes you pay a bit more for them but you are buying extra quality.

It is up to you but buying a Nissan is buying an inferior vehicle from a company that could disappear at any moment from the car market.

• Bill

I have a 2012 Nissan Frontier S Crew Cab truck with just basic accessories and I too Love It!   I personally do not need or use all of the Luxury features on most new cars.

Yeah, and my wife is former Miss America =NOT. You chose what you chose so live with it.

• Scott

No, of course it isn't. I usually buy gently used cars, less than a year old with plenty of warranty left. I've never had an issue following that plan.

I worked on Nissan's at the dealer for years. You're going to wish you never saw that truck!

No need to buy any options or accessories that you do not want or need.  Sometimes if is difficult to find a plain truck....even if that is all you want.   If you are happy with your Frontier then enjoy, and do not let anybody tell you differently

I have never had a truck or any expensive car. And nobody ever got an amazing deal from carmax.  But glad you are happy with the Nissan.

Everyone is different. You have to answer for yourself. There is no universal truth here, but OF COURSE ITS OK.  Are you reallt this insecure to worry about what others think?  

.

What I can tell you is that I've owned many trucks for my business. I've been through several Frontiers and several Toyotas, and two  Chevy's, all of which I've liked, but the GM trucks developed lots of problems while the Jap trucks never did. But, even though they had fewer luxuries than the Frontiers which were "loaded" top end models,  my base model Toyotas were less costly to maintain than the Nissans and held their value much better. There's a reason Toyotas trucks command premium prices. 

Most adults purchase a vehicle they can afford 😉 .