carl asked in HealthDental · 4 weeks ago

when is the best time to get wisdom teeth taken out ?

for a few years now my wisdom teeth have been hurting on and off last time I went to the dentist he said that he wouldn't remove them until it full erupts . is that what dentist normally do ?.right now wisdom teeth hurt and my gum is a little swollen the pain bearable tho. I just wanted some insight on what the norm is for removing wisdom teeth. my wisdom tooth is impacted 

• A.J.

To some extent it depends upon your mouth size and space for the teeth to come in normally. They would typically be removed in pairs as upper and lower. I had one impacted, one growing sideways. All four were removed when I was in my late teens.

I also had it done by an oral surgeon instead of a dentist. Difficult removals require a better specialist. 

There is no exact time or decision about it.

Article from the Mayo Clinic.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/wis...

They state they do not get removed if all four:

Healthy , Grown in completely (fully erupted), Positioned correctly and biting properly with their opposing teeth, Able to be cleaned as part of daily hygiene practices

The recommended age for evaluation is 16 to 19.

The roots are less developed and less likely for complications.

An impacted wisdom tooth by age 19 means it needs to be surgically removed. You need a better dentist or referral to an oral surgeon.