Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenDo It Yourself (DIY) · 1 month ago

For an electrician: wiring question?

I am fitting new light fixtures to plug-in lights which were custom made for a built in wardrobe. 

When I took apart the old light fixtures I realised that there was no earth wire in them. 

When wiring these wires into the new fixtures should I be concerned about the absence of the earth wire and should I only use new fixtures which are plastic? 

These lights are plug- in, as in they go into a socket the home system is properly wired and earthed. Just not sure why they did not put an earth wire in this custom made circuit for the built in wardrobe!

Many thanks!!

MOST plug in light fixtures don't have an earth. (Earth = ground for those that only know the US term.)

If you actually look at hard wired light fixtures, I suspect you will find they don't have an earth either.

Most light fittings these days are double insulated and do not require an earth. You only need to run one in if the fitting you replace it with has exposed metal parts that could become live.

• G

What color is the wardrobe?

Does it have the double insulated mark on it?....(small square within a larger square)....if so it meets the requirements for a class 2 fitting and does not need earthing. Also if it's plastic it will be insulating the lamp from the body.