Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelUnited StatesNew York City · 4 weeks ago

Could I consider myself a New Yorker ?

I was born in Phoenix Arizona but moved to New York when I was a baby and have been here since then. I am 26 by the way. Should I consider myself from New York or Arizona ?

• There are real old time New Yorkers ( Like president Trump) who take capitalism seriously, live big and large, says his mind and is flamboyant. Then there are New Yorkers born after 1950 who live tiny, squat in squalid apartments, eat "artisan" foods, and ride dirty taxis and subway

s as they think taking cars and planes is "bad for the ecosystem"! Take your pick!!!

90% of the people in New York, are from somewhere else. 

I personally, am a native New Yorker..........born and raised. 

If you were raised there,  practically from  birth, that's close enough. 

If you grew up on the streets of New York........then you're a New Yorker. 

You know the rhythms and the rules of the city and that's what counts. 

If you have lived in New York since infancy and you are now 26, I believe you can call yourself a New Yorker. Lawyers have a fancy term called "establishing a domicile" which basically means a permanent place of residence. You qualify. 

You can consider yourself whichever you want. It's your choice.

where are you parents from

You are a New Yorker.  California has a social group called the Native Sons of the Golden West.  You only need live in CA for 25 years to join.  Your claim is better.

• Zirp

Sure.

I'm guessing your way of talking has "New York" written all over it, so why deny the obvious?

• hihi!

In New York, you are from AZ. If you go to Louisiana to visit, you are from NY. (after 30 yeas in LA, you would be a Cajun! ...and from LA!) just my way of looking at it! don't mean it's right, an' dat's dat!

New Yorker, just the same as many of your immigrant neighbors.

• IOM

A Noo Yoaker. 😁