Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceCredit · 4 weeks ago

Why is it so hard to keep my monthly credit card bill to $300 or less?

I'm trying to live on a budget so I can accumulate as much savings as possible. So I'm trying to keep my credit card lower than $300 per month, but I'm finding that very to do. I try not to use cash so I don't have to keep running to the bank, so I charge everything to my credit card, but still, you'd think $300 should be a decent budget. But I have my cell phone bill which is $65, then my internet bill which is $60. And I tend to spend an average of $175 on groceries. So that's $300 alone for basic necessities. So when I have to buy one off things at the drug store like medicine, paper goods, laundry detergent, soap, toothpaste, etc. Then you're looking at another $50 or so. So, if you add a little more on luxury items, then you're looking at $400 at least on my credit card bill, which is insane.

What can I do to get my monthly credit card bill down to $300 or less?

Why do you bother ??  As long as you stick to the budget you drafted on paper it does not matter if you paid by cash or credit card ... as long as you PAY IN FULL the cc bill every month (!!) 

You can buy less of those things.  This is not a difficult equation. The only way to keep the bill lower is to spend less.  

Stop charging your necessities on your credit card!! This is no way to manage your money. If you already know how much your necessities mentioned will cost, then ALLOCATE that from your paychecks every payday, get a checking account started and write checks instead. You will not pay interest, you will keep your debt-ratio lower and your credit will be better. 

You should never charge something like food and personal items on a credit card unless you absolutely HAVE to. Pay cash, write a check or use a debit card. It's ridiculous to pay interest on purchases you no longer own--such as food.  

Get the appropriate amount of cash out of your pay up front, and stop paying all that interest. 

Get a cheaper cell phone plan.

All of mine combined are usually less than that. Maybe twice a year I go over by prepaying my power bill and other stuff.

You could try the envelope system. Its proven that people spend more when paying with plastic because it hurts less.

My cell phone is prepaid and I add $10 a year to extend my minutes another year. I might make calls 4-5 times a year. My internet is less too. From years of fighting with them over it.  If you are diligent you should be able to get it for $35-40 anyway. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Envelope_system

Give up your internet and cell phone.

#1 - cut up the credit card.

If you think $400 is too much, then stop spending so much.

- reduce your cell phone bill

- don't buy so many groceries

- don't spend $100 at the drug store.

"I try not to use cash so I don't have to keep running to the bank"

- then take out more money when you go to the bank.

The budget is fine,make more money.

You are the only one using the card.  It's your choice as to when you pull it out.