How long can my car go with a bad starter solenoid ?

My car has had a bad starter solenoid that clicks for about 2 days and doesn’t turn the car on only sometimes it does. How much longer can I go with a bad starter solenoid to a point where my car won’t turn on anymore, all it does now is “click” multiple times and turns on whenever after multiple tries.

2007 Chrysler 300 

Indefinitely.    

You are gambling with it right now. At any time it could quit and you will not be able to start it. It is an easy job so relatively not costly. You got to get one, there is no way around it.

. However let a mechanic shop make that determination and buy the solenoid and install it.  One thing with electrical parts, once you buy it, you own it(whether it solved your problem or not) The store will not take it back "just because you say you did not use it"  They can't see inside it to believe you so it is yours.

.  2007 is not that old considering solenoids can last 30+ years on some cars.

There's really no way of knowing for sure.  This kind of problem is something that's best to get fixed NOW, rather than later, as it could leave you stranded somewhere (probably in the worst of places!) when you least expected it.  Sure, money is tight for most of us, and car repairs can be expensive, but this is something that should not wait.  Get it to a mechanic as soon as you can!  good luck.

No-one can tell. It could fail the very next time you go to use it. Get it fixed now. If that's what the problem is.

• John P

How long is a piece of string?  If it is that bad already, get it fixed or changed NOW.

The starter solenoid is an isolated problem. It has become inconvenient with it's intermittent behavior. It won't cause problems to develop besides itself. Replace it or replace the whole starter with a new solenoid, but before you do that, make sure the battery and charging system are good. Also make sure the starter itself is in good working order.

If you were smart you'd replace the starter before you end up paying more for the tow truck then the starter costs!!

No way to know

two reasons why it clicks but doesn't start:

1 battery doesn't supply enough current to keep the solenoid closed.

2 contacts in solenoid are dirty/corroded so even though the contact is physically made across them, the electrical contact is so poor that the started motor doesn't get the power to turn it.

I'm guessing your problem is number 2.

I had a similar problem with a Ford Focus. There was a very slight coolant leak from a radiator hose which meant fluid ran down over the solenoid, inside , and on to the contacts , thus making them dirty/corroded.

Since the solenoid was press fitted together, it meant breaking the case open to get to the contacts, so I just bought another.

Very straightforward to fix.

! day or 1 year.................no ******* way for us to know.