Why does my car click when I try to turn it on?

When I go into my car and turn the ignition to “on” to turn it on it just clicks and doesn’t turn on. After multiple tries of trying to turn it on all I hear is “click” and thankfully it turns on after multiple times. But what could be the issue? 

Loud click 2007 Chrysler 300 

And how much will it cost to repair??

two reasons why it clicks but doesn't start:

1 battery doesn't supply enough current to keep the solenoid closed.

2 contacts in solenoid are dirty/corroded so even though the contact is physically made across them, the electrical contact is so poor that the started motor doesn't get the power to turn it.

I'm guessing your problem is number 2.

I had a similar problem with a Ford Focus. There was a very slight coolant leak from a radiator hose which meant fluid ran down over the solenoid, inside , and on to the contacts , thus making them dirty/corroded.

Since the solenoid was press fitted together, it meant breaking the case open to get to the contacts, so I just bought another.

Very straightforward to fix.

• Fred

If the car eventually starts the problem is likely in your starter.  It may be the solenoid isn't contacting its start terminals or the clutch in the starter is worn out.  I have no idea what it will cost to repair in your country.  You likely need a new starter solenoid or starter clutch.

maybe a weak battery

Nothing to worry about, this issue is very common whenever you shut your engines off.

• CB

The first course of action it to clean your battery posts and terminals until they are shiny. Once that is done and IF problem persists, take the battery to an auto store and have them check it, If the battery is over 4 years old just replace it and save your self some headache. Winter is coming in the northern hemisphere and if that is where you live you will need the power of a fresh battery on the colder days. 

The above assumes you don't have a CEL on or battery light on when it is running and you have all of your light (inside and out) turned off when you leave the car to sit for any length of time.Don't start replacing parts until they have been tested -  do the cheapest easiest things first....usually that is the cause.

• Scott

As others of said, it’s most likely the battery, starter, and/or the alternator. But it might also be some sort of a sensor. When my truck wouldn’t start about three years ago, it was a sensor that was the problem.

The first thing you should do is look at the sticker on top of your battery. It will tell you the date of manufacture. If your battery is older than three years, it’s a good idea to replace it.

• Rick

that's either the starter OR the starter solenoid trying to work - normal.

Looks like you have a bad battery, maybe a dead cell.

• Eva

Battery, starter, or alternator.  Most likely the starter, since it eventually starts.

Loose or dirty battery connections. Or the starter is going bad. Start with the connections.