Anonymous

Should I be offended by this? ?

I understand that who i consider my best friend may not consider me THEIR best friend. I get that 100%. But I have a friend who will only call me to hang out if her "BEST" friends are busy. I'm never her first (or fourth) choice for any of her plans. She will literally call me crying about her boyfriend and say "no one else picked up the phone, you're the only one who answered" or she'll invite me to go to the beach or the movies but I later find out I only got invited because she asked her four "best friends" first but they were sick or had to work. and I get that I'm not her best friend but I feel like this is crossing over to a point where this isn't a friendship and I should be offended. what do you think? 

There is no 'should' involved. You feel offended because this person is using you as a last resort, and that devalues your friendship to almost nothing. Were in in your place, I would have dropped her as a friend a long time ago. 

I can see you have chosen a favorite answer,  My daughter had a friend much like this in high school,  she would tell her she would be over to pick her up to go shopping or to the movies then never show up,, if my daughter called to see if she was coming over,  the housekeeper would answer the phone and tell her Rita was asleep.   I tried many times to get her to choose other friends,  she would for awhile then fall back into the same thing again.   I didn't want her to ditch Rita, but she needed other friends,  I wanted her to stay friends,  just have other friends.  You don't have to  put up with this sort of thing,   Make more friends,  don't just choose one person (like this)  to be your friend.

@Jerry you're an idiot. 

• Jerry

What I think is that if you enjoy spending time with this friend, enjoy sharing outings and activities with this friend, then you should continue doing it. 

Do you really spend time with this lady only to sabotage your enjoyment of that time with reflections on being a B list friend rather than an A list friend? Who's fault is that? 

If you prefer to spend time only with people who have you on their A list, then do that. But agreeing to spend time with someone only to spend that time resenting the someone is crazy. 

Stop being available to her all the time. I do not think, she thinks of you too often, not a best friend. Treat her the way she treats you, do not let anyone treat you badly.