Vinyl Floor mm vs mil?

I am currently looking at 3 different vinyl plank rigid core flooring for stairs, hallway, and bedrooms. I am looking at -

Lifeproof 22 mil and 7 mm

NuCore 22 mil and 6.5 mm

Metro Flor 20 mil and 5.2 mm

The wear layers all seem similar and good for high traffic but how much should I put the thickness into consideration? Is 5.2 to 7 mm a big difference? I’m not sure how to compare these floors to each other and pick the best one! Any help is appreciated!

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

mil = mm.     

• 1 month ago

More important that thickness is how it is installed. Vinyl plank typically comes in snap together and glue down versions. With snap together if you need to make repairs later you will have to take up a good deal of the floor to make the repair. With glue down you can replace individual planks by heating the plank and prying it up. 

The other thing is the tendency for vinyl plank to get dents where heavy furniture of even chairs sit. The thicker the planks the deeper the dents. 

• 1 month ago

Not much difference if you are in a house.

The thinner ones sometimes cost more due to having integrated rubber backing. The thicker ones are sometimes used over a separately installed underlay.

The greatest difference is when you are in an apartment and noise is a consideration.

• 1 month ago

7mm pergo type flooring is the cheap, thin stuff and not suitable for heavy traffic areas at all unless people in your house do not wear shoes [and you don't have medium or larger dogs].  for heavy wear areas, you want a much thicker product [11 mm?] and please give yourself some leeway -- get an extra box or at least a half box and put it in storage so you can replace damaged or worn pieces in the years to come.

Source(s): i should know -- i have over 2000 sq feet of this cheap stuff. -- grampa
  • What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 month ago

an inch is circa 25mm ..so the difference between 5.2mm and 7mm is 1.8mm...circa 1/14th of an inch ..

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Manufacturers will give data on suitability for applications of their products. But realistically in a domestic setting where people are not wearing heavy shoes you are more likely to accidentally damage the product (or get fed up of looking at it) long before it actually wears out - the only caveat to that is if you have dogs. Good preparation of the subfloor is important to get the best out your covering regardless of thickness and anything over 5mm is fine, but thicker stuff starts to ramp the price up. Vinyl is a different proposition to laminate flooring and need be nowhere as thick.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.