Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social ScienceGender Studies · 1 month ago

What is the appropriate singular pronoun to refer to someone who wants to be referred to with gender neutral pronouns?

Obviously he and she are not gender neutral and often using a plural pronoun just doesn’t work.     

People aren't gender neurtral.  Some people want to pretend to be an astronaut or a super hero - but they aren't really.  

Call them by their name.  You'll be correct, and you won't be dragged into going along with their imaginary game.

i believe the correct answer to someone who wants to be referred to with gender neutral pronouns, is dumb ***.

tmm

• Elana

You ask the person.

I have NEVER heard of anyone preferring "it".

There are some who use "they" but that seems kind of silly to me.

You're right:  It's confusing.

In English the gender neutral, singular pronoun is “lt”.  

If someone has a baby, and you don’t know the sex, it’s perfectly correct to ask: “what sex is it?”   Similarly, it’s perfectly acceptable to refer to a dog or other animal as “it” if the sex is unknown or you simply don’t want to use a sex specific pronoun.    With adults, it’s common to refer to someone with their sex specific pronouns:  he or she, but using the gender neutral pronoun of “it” would be just as correct for an adult as it is for a baby, a dog, etc. in the event that person doesn’t want to be referred to using their sex specific pronoun.   

Sometimes a plural pronoun works, but sometimes not.    It doesn’t make sense for example to say:   “I was talking to Robin and they said....”.   

• John P

None has yet been invented, as far as I know.   There is a move by people of that sort to use 'they' and 'them', but that sounds silly to me.

True, 'they' and 'them' have been used for centuries for an 'indefinite' single person, e,g. "If someone hits you, you hit them back", but when you know the person who you are talking about, and possibly that person is in the room near you, then 'they',  'them' is just silly.

It's usually best to just not use pronouns when dealing with gender neutral/fluid people because there's dissent even within those circles (they tend to live in a circular firing squad just like the rest of the "woke"). But if you must, as of 5:21 PDT on 9/22/2020 "zie", "sie", "ey" and "ve" are acceptable. Don't blink though or you'll miss the next set of preferred words. 

There is no such thing as a gender neutral pronoun because people are either male or female. People who believe they are something other than male or female should not be pandered to and we should help them to receieve the help and support they need to recover from their mental illness. 

• Bill

Nothing. Really, that stuff is way too subjective to hope to get correct. 

The already existing gender neutral pronoun is 'it'.  It is a non-discriminatory word with no special connotations so I don't know why the word is not used by those who do not wish to be male or female. I lack psychic skills and cannot guess what made-up words a person might like to apply to themselves and it is unreasonable for anyone to expect me to be able to guess and presumptuous of them to assume I will be willing to use whatever letter combination they tell me I must use. They are free to be whoever they like. They are not free to dictate my actions or to dictate my perceptions. I mean such people no offence ... unless they wish to impose obligations on me beyond common good manners.

I wondered that myself. It sounds illiterate if you call someone 'it' or 'hey you'. I was banned a few months ago from a livestream of someone playing a game because he said his pronouns.  I then asked why do we need to know your pronouns, I'm here to watch someone play a game. The dude wanted to be called 'it' 'them' or 'they' so I guess that works. But I wouldnt play their games