Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsCats · 1 month ago

My cat has a swollen cheek? Is it an emergency?

It is kind of hard to see in the photos because of his dark face, but my cat's left cheek is swollen. There is a hard lump but there is nothing above the skin except for a small scab that has already completely healed. Originally the cut there was oozing a little so I cleaned it with some antibacterial wash and it healed right up, but now a few days later its super swollen and Im starting to be concerned. He shows no pain and is eating a breathing fine. I am able to touch it without him pawing at me, so it must not be super sensitive to the touch. I will try to take him to the vet if absolutely necessary, but are there any home remedies to try? He's just been a stray in my neighborhood that we let sleep in the house so I don't have pet insurance for him or a vet fund saved up. Would this be something that would be expensive to treat? 

• Laura

It sounds like there is an abscess.  This is what happens when the surface of a wound heals but not the inside.  

He needs to go to the vet before it becomes painful and he starts hiding and acting different.  We don't know how expensive this would be because we are not the vets treating him.  

What a piece of work you are.  You think you don't have to provide care for this cat because it was a stray?  It's in YOUR house, it looks well fed, it's YOUR cat.  It needs a vet NOW or to be taken to a stray and surrendered.

We can't magically know what's wrong here.  It does look VERY swollen so could be a rotten tooth, gum disease, a tumor, a bite wound, who knows.  GET IT IN.  

You're disgusting to even have posted this.  Can't afford the vet?  DON'T HAVE A PET!

• Ocimom

Its best to get him to a vet to be checked out asap.  Don't hope it gets better - try to have him seen by a vet by the end of the week.   

BTW he's not a stray - he's too well groomed and taken care of.  A stray would not look like the picture.

It is possibly an infection. You may need to take him to the vet to get some antibiotics to stop the infection.

• Maxi

It is likely to be a dental issue, possibly an abscess and if so that will require medical treatment

• Yes, he needs to go to the vet. It could be a tooth root abscess and the tooth would need to come out.