Is thus acoustic or classical guitar?

Ok, i bought guitar yesterday(local fair) and it had broken strings what looked like steel strings, but im not sure is it classic or acoustic guitar..im worried because i put steel strings on it and i wouldnt like it to break..here is picture

Attachment image

4 Answers

Relevance
  • edward
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

Acoustic is what they call a guitar that doesn’t need an amp to work but it is a classical guitar you have my friend.  Change to nylon

• Tony B
    Lv 4
    2 months ago

It's obviously acoustic but it's hard to tell from the picture whether it's a steel string guitar or a nylon string guitar. An “acoustic” guitar is one that doesn't need an amplifier to make a sound - it produces sounds acoustically.

A classical guitar is just one type of nylon string guitar. This is not a classical guitar - it's the wrong shape and classical guitars aren't fitted with scratch plates.

There are many steel string guitars that have headstocks like this, so that tells us nothing. 

It looks a very poor quality guitar - the sort of thing that sells for maybe £40/$40 on Amazon. If I had to guess from the picture I‘d say it's meant for steel strings - the fingerboard doesn't look wide enough for nylon strings and it looks as if the bridge is glued and screwed to the top.

If steel strings are fitted to a nylon string guitar then the slots in the nut for the top three strings will be too wide (the top three strings are much wider if they're nylon). In theory, the bridge saddle will be parallel to the frets on a nylon string guitar but with steel strings it will be at an angle so the high E is slightly shorter than the low E.

Like ai say, it looks a very poor quality instrument - one that doesn't know what it's supposed to be!

• Expat
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

It’s a classical guitar. It is an acoustic guitar, too, but it’s a classical. The other variety is folk or country. To tell the difference, yours has nylon strings and the tuning pegs point down from the head; a country or folk guitar will have steel strings and the tuning pegs will point out away from the head. Here’s an image. Yours is like the on3 on the right and the folk guitar on the left. They’re both acoustic because they’re not electric guitars. 

Attachment image
  • 2 months ago

Here is Picture 2    

Attachment image
Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.