Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social SciencePsychology · 1 month ago

Am I insane?

I think about the butterfly effect a lot and it really scares me that one tiny decision/event/etc can change my whole life...and even though what’s meant to be will be according to that logic, it still gives me anxiety about making the wrong choices 

i had the exact same thought years ago when i was in my teens.  turns out i was mentally ill with psychosis but didnt know about what i was suffering from.  you are right, one action can lead to a whole chain reaction.  my worry and only worry was i was going to go to hell from a chain reaction.  what happens if i touched a rock once.  maybe i need to touch it 4 times because there are 4 members in my family.  i was going insane.  then went on meds and my worries started to go away.  you need a good psychiatrist because some will give you meds that make you drowsy.  to answer your question, yes one action tiny or very tiny can have a profound effect on you.  but what can you do about it?  are you supposed to listen to a whole bunch of voices in your head.  touch this.  no dont touch this.  look here.  no dont look here.  eventually you grow up to realize you cant have total control of life.  -and so the answer is you sometimes listen to your voice.  and sometimes you don't.  what else can you do.  and when you take the meds, your voices kind of go away and you become more clear in your thinking - no kidding i'm serious.

Not insane, but clearly anxious. There is an old graduate business school term: analysis paralysis, where you are frozen by fear of deciding incorrectly. If it keeps bothering you, you might share that with your primary care doc. Perhaps, medication can help, however, pills alone are not skills. It might also be worth seeking out a counselor to develop some coping strategies to further lower your anxiety. 

Bruh I just watched x-men days of future past and read about the Yith watchers of time in the Necronomicon.  When he get's his conscious projected into the past it bothers me. Wondering about the fluidity of the past and future.  As we age with technology time travel shanigans seem more and more a possibility.  It feels very surreal being born in this time period like a dinosaur to an AI.  I wonder if there are sort of time operations like the new movie tenet that have altered my life in a butterfly effect type of way.  Is this my true original life or has it been derailed by mine or someone elses decisions in a future/past.  I also read in a math book that time is perceived logarithmically not linearly and wonder if you could alter brains to perceive time differently in curves or lines if people could notice?  How do you describe the passing of time really?  

does this come up in conversation much?

if so , probably

tmm

Define Insane.

You sound better than some which claim to be sane.

Myself, I think the whole world has gone mad.

I don't know if you are insane or not.  But your statement is a little oxymoronic. 

"What meant to be will be" implies some conscious plan, but the "butterfly effect" is the opposite notion, and that randomness is the path of things. 

So you should have said, "what will be will be" or "whatever" or even "**it happens" to acknowledge the randomness of complexity theory. 

That said, I have been explaining to my own 20-something son that as an adult you make decisions & choices and all of those decision & choices carry consequences.  Some of those are favorable and some are not.  But as an adult you own the consequences of all your decisions.  So take time & think out the ramifications before deciding. 

Good luck!  . 

You shouldn't be scared, but being aware that what you do may harm others is far more important. 

Any decision you make was the best for when you made it. The consequences will be great learning opportunities, especially if they hurt a little because we tend to learn that way.

What is done is done; you can't change it. When it comes to harming others...you can always make amends.

Everyone has feelings of anxiety at some point in their life. While we associate anxiety with alterations to our mental state, experienced as worry or apprehension perhaps, and physical symptoms such as raised heart rate and adrenaline, we also understand that it is likely to affect us only temporarily until the source of our anxiety has passed or we have learnt to cope with it. Anxiety is therefore one of a range of emotions that serves the positive function of alerting us to things we might need to worry about: things that are potentially harmful. More importantly, these emotions help us to evaluate potential threats and respond to them in an appropriate way, perhaps by quickening our reflexes or focusing our attention.

Fear, like anxiety, is a familiar emotion precisely because it is part of everyone’s experience and we consider it an essential component of our humanity, yet it is also a physiological and behavioural state we share with animals when confronted by a threat to our wellbeing or survival. Fear increases the body’s arousal, expectancy, and neurobiological activity, and triggers specific behaviour patterns designed to help us cope with an adverse or unexpected situation. While fear often has a specific, immediate context which provokes classic ‘fight or flight’ reflexes, the automatic fear response occurs faster than conscious thought, releasing surges of adrenaline which can subside quickly once the perceived or actual threat has passed, anxiety connotes lingering apprehension, a chronic sense of worry, tension or dread, the sources of which may be unclear. It can be a vague, unpleasant emotion experienced in anticipation of some ill-defined misfortune. 

The Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM 2) similarly distinguished anxiety as a future-oriented mood state associated with preparation for possible, upcoming negative events from fear which is an alarm response to present or imminent danger whether real or perceived. If fear is fearful of something particular and determinate, then anxiety is anxious about nothing in particular and is indeterminate. If fear is directed towards some distinct thing in the world, spiders or whatever, then anxiety is anxious about being-in-the-world as such. Anxiety is experienced in the face of something completely indefinite. It is, ‘nothing and nowhere.’

Anxiety disorders such as panic, phobias

and obsessive behaviours may be triggered by traumatic memories, irrational hatred of specific objects, proximity to particular situations or physical locations, or a persistent worry that something bad will happen in the future. A defining characteristic of anxiety disorders is that psychological symptoms, such as irritability, difficulties concentrating and depression, become persistent and intrusive. Many people also experience physical symptoms, like heart palpitations, sweating, tensions and pain, heavy and rapid breathing, dizziness, fainting, etc. People have described how it felt as though they were dying. The lives of those with the most severe forms of anxiety can become completely dominated by their condition, meaning they find it difficult to relax or achieve regular patterns of sleep, becoming stuck in circular patterns of thought that impair their ability to maintain preferred lifestyles, hold down a job or sustain personal relationships.

Anxiety is a state of inner tension from which humans are driven to escape. At a most basic level, anxiety is a signal to the ego, the aspect of personality that deals with reality that something overwhelmingly awful is about to happen and that it needs to employ a defense mechanism in response. Freud saw this as deriving from an infant’s mental helplessness, which is a counterpart of its biological helplessness. People learn to cope with anxiety prompted by ‘real’ threats, such as fear of being bitten by a dog, either by avoiding situations likely to contain the threat, or by physically withdrawing from them. Freud’s typology also included neurotic anxiety arising from an unconscious fear that we will lose control of libidinal impulses, leading to inappropriate behavior, and moral anxiety, arising from a fear of violating our own moral or societal codes. Moral anxiety manifests itself as guilt or shame. The task of psychoanalysis is therefore to strengthen the ability of the ego to find ways of coping with anxiety such as denial, rationalization, regression to a childhood state, or projection.

I don't know your entire psyche so I couldn't tell you. But I do know that for thinking this alone you are not insane. You are a complex sentient being with a high level of awareness of the nature of possibilities and time. I often think of what would have happened had I "left the house x minutes ago," and the "places I would have been."

There is the future which is uncertain, and the past which is not alterable, but both can be seen through the awareness of alternative possibilities.

The wrong choices will often get your inner moral compass to point towards bad. When you feel that raw feeling of wrongness, rather it be a consequence of intuition or logic you might have the option to step aside or avoid making a bad choice.

Sometimes, all you can do is make a choice and learn from it. Bad choices can not always be avoided.

Repeat or not to repeat? That is the question. We are all mostly a collection of personal habits.

No you’re not insane! The brain can only process certain types of information. When you try to think about something that’s a little bigger (think existential) then it gets a little complicated. With something as BIG as the butterfly effect, it can get scary! As sentient beings, we can see how our actions now can effect things later in life. Remind yourself that although your choices may seem like a “wrong or right choice” that all choices are inherently neutral in the grand scheme of things, therefore there’s no reason to overthink it. Just follow the basic laws of society (don’t murder or harm anyone basically) and you’ll be fine!