Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingNewborn & Baby · 1 month ago

Smoking cigarettes and breastfeeding ?

I am not handling PPD very well. I’d rather not take medications because I don’t want it to effect the babies. I smoke one of my husband’s cigarettes at the end of the day when he gets home from work just to help me wind down & relax a little. How long after smoking can I breast feed or pump & the nicotine no longer be in my breast milk?

I wouldn’t worry about it, it was not uncommon years ago for women to smoke 20 cigarettes a day whilst pregnant. The risks are greatly over exaggerated, likewise with second hand smoke.

• alan P

I'm not in favour of smoking but if you have only one a day preferably outside and definitely away from your baby then this is probably not doing much harm although smoking can be very addictive.  The nicotine will go down gradually after smoking.  A lot of smokers feel the need to have another cigarette after a couple of hours or so.  This suggests that an hour or two after smoking, the nicotine in the blood falls to a fairly low level but not zero.  Your husband should preferable smoke outside and never in the same room as the baby.

I hope someone is able to report you to CPS because what you're doing is wrong & new's flash, smoking is NEVER healthy for a baby and their health (Second hand smoke is also not healthy either, just in case you wanted to know.). Trailer trash.

• L

NO smoking and NO alcohol while breastfeeding.  Remember, the baby is MORE important than you.  I raised three children and breast fed each.  I NEVER drank any alcohol until AFTER the youngest was weaned...........because..............my children were more important than me.  If you want to unwind - drink some herbal tea.

• LizB

A prescribed medication would be much better for both your and baby's health than cigarettes and nicotine. MANY antidepressants and meds used to treat anxiety are considered relatively safe during breastfeeding, including many that are labeled category C. Here is a trustworthy resource for fact sheets about various psych meds during pregnancy and breastfeeding: https://mothertobaby.org/fact-sheets-parent/

You can smoke. Smoke would not come into the breasts. 

It's better for everyone if you use appropriately prescribed medications rather than cigarettes... secondhand smoke can kill. 

You must be autistic, blond, or liberal bc that’s not very smart. 

i would stop smoking altogether, its not good for the baby

• Rick B

You do understand that nicotine is a stimulant, not a depressant.  Cigarettes do not help you wind down and relax; they do the opposite.  

The breast feeding is just one issue.  You and your husband should not be exposing your baby to cigarette smoke in the air, on your clothes, in your hair, on his/her blankets, etc.  GROSS.