Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingParenting · 1 month ago

What are your opinions on lethally Injecting a 16-year-old who is guilty of capital murder?

For example, Eric Mathew Blackerby who was convicted of capital murder in the beating death of 19-year-old William Allen Neff at a swimming hole over a disagreement they had with each other. 

He didn't hesitate to give the death penalty to another person. No reason he should not have it too.

Federal law prohibits the execution of anyone under the age of 18, except in extremely unusual circumstances. Therefore, this execution could not have happened.

• Lili

Blackerby was sentenced to life in prison and is now 21.  There was never any question of his being executed at 16, which is as it should be.

We don't execute 16-year-olds.

I do not care about age or the criminal. I care more about the victim. We need to get tougher on crime

Scotus made it illegal to sentence minors to death and I have to agree with that decision.  The combination of an non-fully developed brain and inexperience should not make them subject to the death penalty.  I don't even think the life sentence given to Blackerby was just.  The murder was not premeditated and the intent to kill was questionable at best.  Add the fact that the accused didn't deny his actions showed remorse and I think a life sentence is excessive.

Being a minor shouldn’t be relevant. A 16 year old is more than old enough to know right from wrong, and there’s hardly any drastic difference in maturity between 16 and 18.

I have mixed opinions on the death penalty, but I generally only support it for terrorists and mass killers, so I wouldn’t say this situation warrants the death penalty - but definitely prison.

• Darla

I'm all for it. She should not have did murder. 

• helene

It's no longer legal to execute minors, or people who committed their capital crime as minors, so do my opinions really matter?

• Mog

I’m against the death penalty. As Thomas Aquinas said, capital punishment should only be used if the state doesn’t have the means or the capability to imprison them for life. 

I oppose the death penalty under any circumstances.  A life sentence in jail gives a killer plenty of time to repent.  Or suffer.