Is frozen mixed veg just as good as fresh veg?

I eat frozen veg as I can’t get hold of fresh veg where I’m at, but I have a friend called gerald who gets his veg fresh from a grocer, and he says it’s “better” than the frozen veg.

What do you think?

thanks to all who answered.

I disagree with Gerald - although I think he’s a lovely person.

Frozen vegetables are often picked and frozen immediately while they are still fresh. 

The ones in shops sometimes can't really be called “fresh” as they are much older.

Sorry Gerald...

• geezer

Most vegetables are frozen within an hour of being picked .. so ''nutritionally'' frozen vegetables are usually better than fresh.

If you are going to buy fresh then it's better to buy from a smaller grocer (or a market stall) rather than a large supermarket chain, where they could be up to a week old.

Of course the best option of all is to grow your own !

• Judy

Yes, and better since they are picked when ripe and quickly frozen.  Also, all the work of slicing and chopping is already done for you.

• kswck2

Kind of depends where you live. I have access to farm stands, so i Only cook fresh, when available. When Not, I Will shop around for fresh-even if from California or Mexico. 

Frozen can be nutritionally better than fresh as it is usually frozen within a few hours of harvesting, but 'fresh' may have been harvested for quite some time before it reaches the greengrocer or supermarket. Best of all is freshly harvested, straight from harvesting to preparation, but this is normally only possible if you have a sizable vegetable patch in your garden. There is one veg - peas - which I find frozen superior to fresh in taste and texture as well as nutritionally. 

Canned veg is a good reserve or standby, but check ingredients, some brands contain added sugar or other nasties.

In general, frozen is just as good as fresh from a nutritional standpoint.

From a taste standpoint, you'd have to decide for yourself. Some people think the freezing process takes something away in terms of taste, but I often can't tell the difference if I don't know whether something is fresh or frozen. 

Fresh veggies have better texture in many preparations.

Frozen veggies may actually have more nutrients in them.   Final nutrient content depends on how you prepare them.

• Tavy

Veg is picked from the field and frozen within the hour. Fresh veg can be weeks old especially potatoes and cabbage.

• n2mama

From a nutritional standpoint, frozen is better than canned, but neither are as good as fresh. Most freezing processes cause a minimal loss of nutrients, so they are pretty close to fresh for nutrient quality. 

From a flavor standpoint, I think fresh tastes better and has better texture.