Victoria asked in PetsOther - Pets · 1 month ago

Can fleas live in hay?

We have guinea pigs and cats.  The guinea pigs are in a room the cats no longer have access to. I keep my cats treated, however with Covid I was unable to get them anything for fleas that worked until recently, but it appears it was to late.  The guinea pigs are a new addition into our home and the room they're in the cats rarely were so I didn't think much of it.  I'm also allergic to the piggies (They're my partners) So I don't go into their room much.  She's checked the Guinea Pigs and said she's pretty sure they don't any, but when I went in there the other day to monitor temperatures there were several on my leg in just 1 minute.  So we're going to treat the entire house (One room at a time so all the animals stay safe). But I want to make sure it's not for nothing, do I need to throw the guinea pigs hay out (I'll buy more before that obviously) could the fleas be "nesting?" in it?  

• Maxi

Fleas lay eggs on furniture, floor, on carpets in grass and yes they certainly would be in the hay, once a warm blooded host walks by the eggs hatch and feed off the animal........ so you need to get rid of any hay, clean out the cage correctly treat the guineas  ( and cats) and clean the whole house properly at least 3 times in the next 9 days to ensure you kill all and any fleas and any eggs to break the fleas life cycle.. day 1 eggs hatch, day 2 they feed on host/lay eggs day 3 the adult flea dies and it continually repeats....so if you do one room at a time, you will never break the cycle

If the fleas are all over the house they are also in the hay. Throw it in the freezer to kill them off. 

Fleas cannot tolerate stupid-hot temps, or below freezing temps very well. Other than that, the world is their playground, home, and food source and they will live and thrive in/on everything and anything. They will find shade when it's 95 F and a warm host when it's 20 F. They are survivors and will do anything in order to live. If you find a flea or a few, chances are, they are making room and nesting. Clean everything out and get them killed. 

Fleas and their eggs could be hiding in the hay just as they do in carpet.