Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 1 month ago

Will a dog literally starve itself to death?

Can a dog be stubborn enough to not eat for several days, in the event they were given a food they dislike?

19 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

Me Basset Hound puppy starved itself to death. 

Attachment image
  • John
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

Na, ...I don't think so......Have  a Vet check  for  worms

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

dogs can hibernate.

• 1 month ago

One of the first signs that an animal is sick is when they go off their food.  So your dog may be very sick.  Cannot tell you what is wrong but that is a sign you should be taking it in to see a Vet to see why he went off his food.  Rule out any medical reason.

If there is food available a dog will not starve itself unless it is sick.  Take it in to see his Vet.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Jojo
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

It won`t starve itself to death, not unless its severely ill and has no appetite whatsoever.

A dog can go for 10-14  days without food and not die as long as its got water.

I doubt any dog will just refuse to eat through `stubborness` alone. 

They can usually last out in the hope they will be given food more to  their liking but hunger will take over after 3-4 days and the dog will eat just about anything its given by then, (as long as its not been given treats to induce it to eat).  

• Maxi
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

No HEALTHY dog will starve itself to death

• Darla
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

A cat is the same way. A dog yes. Would stave. 

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

dogs will eat their own vomit so i am sure he will not starve itself (unless ill as other users had commented)

• 1 month ago

No a healthy dog will not starve itself to death:

• 1 month ago

No, unless there was severe illness involved or very old age, a dog will not starve itself 

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.