Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentImmigration · 1 month ago

How does the government find out a marriage fraud?

My dad moved to the US a decade ago and got married. However, the government didn't believe they were married and my dad and his ex wife got divorced. He still managed to get the green card tho. Does anybody know how it's possible to not get a marriage approved but still receive a green card? My dad is applying for someone else for a green card and the government will go through his case soon. If they think his marriage Was marriage fraud, is his green card gonna be taken away? Is he gonna get deported ? He has all the papers he needed . 

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

Someone snitch or you didn't play the game correctly

• Foofa
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

You could always ask your father how he managed to get his green card. But, geez, if he somehow slipped through the cracks before you'd think he's just lie low and not turn around and try to sponsor someone else. If his file was flagged for fraud and it just never got properly audited then applying to serve as a sponsor probably would cause his case to be reexamined. Maybe try to convince him to not feel the need to import someone else. 

• 1 month ago

Your father could not now have a 10 year (aka permanent) greencard if USCIS 'did not believe they were married'.  Could he be deported?  Yes, if there was fraud.  That might explain why he has not naturalised.  He is permitted to divorce if the relationship broke down for any reason after he got his greencard but if he lied on the documents he submitted for that, this new application will probably uncover the truth.

By the way, I realise that English is not your native language but 'gonna' is Italian for skirt and has no meaning in English.

• Maxi
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

If immigration beleive he committed fraud to get his gc then yes it will be taken away and he will be removed from the country

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 month ago

If there is any fraud of any kind at any step of the visa/immigration process, any visa, green card, immigration benefit, even naturalized citizenship. can be revoked with deportation & permanent bar to reentry. If you have any info that your dad's marriage was fraud, just to get a green card, you must report it to ICE Hotline. You cannot withhold evidence of a crime or you become a party to the crime.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.