Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicMusicClassical · 2 months ago

Upgrading to a digital piano!?

I've been using a small keyboard to learn to play the piano and would like to start using something full-sized with velocity-sensitive keys. I'm a student so ideally not looking for anything which will break the bank too much.

The main pianos which I have been considering are the DP10X by gear4music, the Yamaha YDP144.

I like the DP10x and YDP144 for the aesthetics and the built-in pedals which I haven't been able to practice with on my current keyboard.

The DP10X seems to have everything that I would want but the main factors holding me back are the brand and the 64 note polyphony. I'm not sure if the brand would make the sound worse and unfortunately, I haven't been able to find many reviews for this piano.

The YDP144 seems to be great with a 192 note polyphony and being from a  reliable brand but it is a lot more expensive!

Is it worth paying almost twice the price just for the brand and polyphony?

They are both aesthetically really similar and both have hammer action keys, are full-sized and velocity sensative.

Any help with this decision would be appriciated! 

Yes, if you use the sustain (damper) pedal) then it is VERY common to have a large member of notes sustained.  Since they are most often, with a long pedal hold) in the SAME harmonic realm, this creates a rich texture.  If you look at digital or sometime still ca*led *electric8 pianos, you will find those features that a PIANIST would want - as opposed to all the wowie stuff that a keyboard player would want for special sororities, effects.  And it you DI eve want that - you can always run your digital piano thru computer software that will give you far may more possibilities.  We own a stunning Steinway grand - and several digital pianos.  We used to use them on classical gigs like lawn parties, weddings, etc.  Retired from that business after 1500 of those jobs, and now we keep one or two of those keyboard in my second/flute studio, so I can live-accompany my student's solos.  So look at REPUTABLE brands, 88 notes, input for a damper pedal ( called that because in acoustic pianos, it RAISES all the string dampers, allowing for sustain), output for an amp ( may or may no have a small speaker in board) and also a way to use headphones for your practice.  (WEIGHTED action is no a necessity anymore -really good synth/spring action is often adjustable and more than adequate.  Other people will still hear ) thump/thump of the keys - but that s a lot quieter.) With computer software, you can record not only the SOUND of what you play, but it will save is also as printed sheets, if you so desire/configure.  we have owned Yamaha, Roland (weighed a TON!) and M-Audio keyboards - the M-audio is the newest and the one we kept, NOT because it had the best sound, but because it is the lightest for me to use just to accompany.  still have a pair of great Gallien-Kruger speakers - left for gig days, and more than I need at this point.

You will find many choices - do not obsess over *extra* features - you want this to take the place of an acoustic piano, and a decent digital is NOW better than a rotten acoustic.  One high-end venue we used to perform at, had a gorgeous Steinway piano in all their photos - but when you raised the key cover, the keyboard had been removed, and a DIGITAL one was in its place.   . .

Hi,

Thanks for the answer. I was under the impression that polyphony was how many the sounds the piano can make at one time and that some notes might need multiple sounds to make that note and therefore the polyphony can be an issue. Also, I have heard that it can also be an issue when using the sustain pedal.

This info is all from a YouTube video so maybe not the most reliable.

Do you have any thoughts regarding the brand issue?

I think maybe you don't know what polyphony is. Unless you are literally smashing the entire keyboard with your arms, you cannot play 64 notes simultaneously, let alone 192. Even the best pianists in the world would probably never be able to play more than 12 notes simultaneously. Higher polyphony counts are for using the piano as a MIDI synthesizer or using the built-in rhythms, NOT for playing the piano.