Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicTelevisionComedy · 1 month ago

In American TV shows, people who live in apartment blocks don’t have their own washing machines, they use communal ones on the basement. Why?

Update:

Even someone wealthy like Frasier has to send Daphne downstairs to the washing machine. It doesn’t happen in Europe even though the buildings are older.

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 weeks ago

It's a plot device to get people out of their apartments.

• 1 month ago

In order to save space, perhaps?

• 1 month ago

Yes, many apartment buildings have a common laundry room. It frees up capital for the apartment renters. They don't have to buy or maintain a washing machine or a dryer.

As for why they are so often seen in TV shows- it adds a set that is out side of the apartment where chance encounters can take place. Shows have to have sets and this set is just part of many. Clearly some of the characters should be able to afford an apartment with it's own laundry room. But that would necessitate a different setting for encounters to take place.

• Alan
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

A lot of apartment buildings in the US don't have their own washing machines.

Sometimes, it is a hassle to build an exhaust for the dryer in apartment.  

Also, there are apartment complexes here that don't even have a communal 

washer either. 

Yes, there are also apartments in the US which have washing machines.   

However, forcing characters to use the communal facilities  allows them 

to met other people and have more interactions with other people.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

I live in a condo building with a "laundry room" provided for residents (not in the basement, though). The pipes are too small and too old to support washing machines in each unit. Obviously not all apartments/condos are like this. 

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

I know right.. i think it's fairly common in some American places. I've also seen Laundry stores in some TV shows where poor people go and pay to wash their clothes there. We don't have any of that in Brazil at all

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.