My cd boombox requires 6 'size C' batteries to operate where there is no mains electricity. Can I connect to a single battery unit.    ?

more economic and not so liable to run down while idle.

• bill

Buy rechargeables and keep a spare set on hand or just buy cheaper batteries from dollar store .

Messing with it you could fry it if not done right.

Robert J. gave you just about word for word, right down to the link for the battery holder that I was going to say. The only difference is, I would suggest a small solar charger as well.

Six C cells start out at 9V when new and gradually drop down to around 6V before giving up completely.

Two lithium cells would fit well within that range, starting at 8.4V and again running down to near 6V.

You could wire in a two cell holder for 18650 cells, get four good cells (samsung or similar, not no-name ones) and a two or four cell charger.

Use two in the CD machine and have two in the charger, ready to swap.

[Look at the "2 x cell case" in this ebay listing for an example of what I mean; a holder with flying leads you can connect to the battery contacts in the machine].

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/18650-Battery-Holder-bo...

Two pairs of 2.5AH lithiums would give about the same working time as one set of good alkaline C cells. You could always get more than two sets if you want to be able to run it longer while away from mains power.

And you can get 18650 chargers with 12V input to use in a car.

There is no better option for it  

than NiMH rechargeable C cells.            

Indeed best not to mess.  You can get rechargeable batteries in 'C' size.

Depends on the voltage. If it matches the voltage of the six batteries as they're arranged (series, parallel or a combination) , yes. If you don't know the voltage or don't know how to calculate it, then don't mess with it.