Why are the poorest quality music services like apple music and Spotify so popular? ?

I notice that most people use spotify and apple music even the worst quality audio youtube. Tidal is so much better it has hi fi audio on par with cd and studio and master. I am a audiophile and have multiple high end stereo systems and car audio systems and go to competitions. MY question is why do people prefer horrible audio quality like worse then old school napster mp3 files. the streaming from apple and spotify remind me of a song that was burned in the lowest bit rate. please explain why no one use tidal which amazing quality. ?????

People pay for low audio quality music because there's a sucker born every minute.

Because we aren't audiophiles, like you, who demand the highest quality music you can find.

To my ears the likes of Spotify & Deezer etc. sound perfectly ok. There isn't much difference between listening to a song i have on CD and the same song on Spotify. I hear horrible audio quality coming more from the headphones/earphones/speakers you use rather than Spotify's default streaming quality rate

The sheer amount of music, and the fact that the systems/devices most people are streaming onto aren't that high quality to begin with (combined with most people not being able to tell the difference).

Most real 'audiophiles' eschew digital formats altogether - and will use vinyl, but obviously that's not practical for car audio.

• chorle

I only expect so much if I am listen free or free with other service like free with Prime section of amazon music. Most services like that I use for audio drama or audio books and anything with better sound quality than original Talkshoe okay,

I don't need to experience  notes being played that only dogs and cats can hear.

Huge numbers of titles are available from those services.  

It's like a supermarket --- lots of things to choose from,

all in one place, cheap, and convenient.         

There is no requirement that You "shop" there, though. 

As a career professional classical musician since 1973, I agree 100 percent with the 3 previous responses.  Most people want LOTS of stuff, NOW.  And they are like the idiot who asked about getting the loudest headphones he could - no idea about music, just wants excess.  We have owned a ton of great equipment, since the Sixties, when we were both in undergrad conservatory.  It is all gone, sold, given away - we went to 95 percent CDs, many years ago, for the ease of access.  Our son (40) has his MM in digital music and recording technology.  He is of the same mind - you can get audio that is sharper than any human ear, even in the most perfect conditions, can truly grasp. The old joke among musicians is that any 2 people do not hear the same live concert - every seat in the house is slightly different.  So if you are TRULY an educated audiophile, you know all this - and you let go. I have a cartoon in my studio - two mean looking at one guy's huge system with a turntable - the owner says "The two reasons I got back into vinyl were the expense, and the inconvenience."  We can have any argument with audiophile devotees - but it is just not plain worth it to us.  We also do not care if someone is vegan, or dating their cocker spaniel.  About YOU - are you just into audio - or do you have degrees and long performing career in *acoustic* professional music?  Where are *your* ears at?  Nothing is as good as live acoustic - everything else is like kissing a picture of the one you love . . .

Your average music listener has no idea what any of that means nor do they really care. They just want to listen to whatever music they like with popular services like Apple Music, Spotify, and YouTube.

The only possible reason can be that lots of people aren't interested in the quality of the sound they listen too. They are happy with downloads, earbuds and Bluetooth. But then lots of people don't actually

listen

to music - they just want to be able to hear it while they do something else.

Well, there's your problem: you're an audiophile. I suppose people would love Tidal if they'd heard about it and wanted to fork out twice as much every month to feed their overpriced stereo.