Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 1 month ago

I was shopping at Lowe's and got mad at an employee for suggesting I check Home Depot for a specific product. Was it wrong of me to get mad?

When I was shopping at Lowe's Home Improvement, I was looking to buy a product that they only had in top stock and I asked this employee if he could get it down for me but he told me that he's not forklift certified and that the people who were forklift certified were currently busy and weren't available for a while longer and so he tells me that a faster option would likely be to visit Home Depot across the street for if I didn't have the time to wait.

I did not appreciate being suggested to go to Home Depot considering I prefer to support and shop at Lowe's due to the good ways the entire company supports organizations. Anyway I stated that to the employee in response to him suggesting that I visit Home Depot and on my way out I reported him to the store's higher ups for that, because Home Depot is their competitor store they wouldn't possibly be ok with an employee of theirs suggesting that I visit Home Depot.

On second thought, am I right to feel the way I do about this whole thing or perhaps am I making this too big of a deal or being unreasonable by any means?

I don't find anything wrong with what he said to you, that was just you going out of your way to be offended.

• HMFan

The employee was giving you a choice: 1) you can wait, or 2) if you REALLY REALLY REALLY need it now, go to Home Depot. The fact that the forklift operators were engaged elsewhere, and that Home Depot carries the same product is NOT this specific employee’s fault. You upbraided him for circumstances out of his control. In this day and age, more people are driven by having their immediate needs met over brand loyalty, so that is why he suggested HD. I think you let your emotions get the better of you and you took that out on someone undeserving of your frustration. Personally if I were you, I would go back to the Lowe’s, seek out the associate to whom you spoke, and apologize. Sincerely. The world has enough strife as it is; please don’t add to it with petty reasons for making someone ELSE’S day miserable.

• drip

I would of asked management to get the product down for me. That the employee you asked to do to take it down said they couldn’t at this time and suggested I go buy from another store. 

If the forklifts were working in a project they should be pulled off for a customer,  if they were getting stuff down for other customers , then you would have needed to wait your turn. 

Did you explain why the employee suggested another store?  If we did not have a product in our store , we do suggest where a customer can buy it.  Did management know the whole story?

yes cause noone likes people getting mad at them, maybe you should apologize

• East

The employee was trying to be helpful.  It's a bit strange, but intent counts.  Let it go.

• John P

You were over-reacting more than somewhat if you really 'got mad'. 

The employee was trying to help you by suggesting an alternative source (even though a competitor) to fulfil your need immediately, because his company could not do so at that moment for good physical reasons.  How could he have known your keenness to shop at Lowe's on ethical grounds rather than at any other store? 

Does anybody, on going into a store, loudly proclaim their loyalty to that store because of its charitable giving?

From my perspective in Britain, it does seem that some Americans are ready to 'get mad' at almost any tiny set-back in their lives.

I'm sorry, but you are a pompous idiot. The man wasn't urging you to stop shopping at Lowe's and take your custom to Home Depot; he was trying to save you time on this one specific occasion.

You could legitimately complain to Lowe's management that they should perhaps get more of their staff certified for operating forklifts. But you were very wrong to complain about this assistant, who was doing his best to help you in an unusual situation.

• You may well have cost the employee his job when he was trying to help you. That's not very classy. 

• Cogito

You were extremely unreasonable.  The employee was unable to assist you to get the product you wanted at Lowe's and he was kind enough to suggest a way in which you could obtain that product quickly and easily from another store.

And you were ungrateful, rude, entitled and might well have got the employee into trouble.

You behaved very badly.

Anyone carrying on like you describe is unreasonable. And you know it.