Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceRenting & Real Estate · 1 month ago

Is it possible to live alone on $12-$13/hour?

I was thinking about going to school for Accounting, but starting salaries are very low in my area. I'd be able to pick up some overtime during tax season, but other than that, it would just be a 40 hours/week job.

Minimum wage is $7.25 where I live (so about $5 above minimum wage.) Average rentals are about $500/month.

But please be honest if the field is worth going into. I really need a living wage.

No, this is with a bachelor's degree. I was hesitant if I really wanted to get it because I know some people who work in banking (with an associate's or no degree) who make 30k-35k/year.

depends on price of rent, and many other factors

Only if rents are cheap in your area. Your rent should never be more than 1/3 yoru gross income & most landlords will require that to qualify.  You do the math. If you cannot find a place in your area for that then the answer would be no.  

certainly not in western oregon

$12 per hour would net you about $1450.per month at a 40 hour week.

If that is all 'your area' offers? Then, in most places, rent is based on local area average income.

You won't be able to get a luxury high-rise apartment but check with property managers in the area. They may be able find you something in your price range.

• Scott

That's around $500 a week before taxes. Where I live you can't find a decent apartment for under $1000. That's half your income just for rent. I'd say no, you can't.

A 4 year accounting degree would pay more than $13 an hour. A 2 year degree is pretty meaningless.

In some places, yes.  In some places, no.  In San Francisco, probably not.  In most places where minimum wage is $7.25, probably yes.  In many countries, it's possible to live on less than $1 an hour.

my calculator says $12 x 40 hours x 4 weeks =1920, month....if you get paid hourly with no pay sick/vacation, the extra days per month even out to 4 weeks per month

honestly, if you can't figure out your own personal budget, accounting is not for you....