Car is not registered. Can I pass toll booth without violation?

If I drive through a cashless booth in NY/NJ with a car that is not registered but the plates are in my name but for a Sentra (not the car the plates will be used on going through the booth, which is a Hyundai). Can I get in trouble for this?

11 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 weeks ago

Of course, you can get in trouble with putting plates on an unregistered vehicle that should be on another vehicle. Doing so is illegal.

• Scott
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Yes. It's illegal to put plates on a car that they are not registered to. If a cop sees you you will get to experience a felony stop because the car will appear stolen.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Yes. Expect them to kick in your front door. You are a car thief.  That simple.  You are still in your knickers and you got to explain yourself.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Yes.  I would expect a Notice of Violation in about 10 days.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • May
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

Yes. Of course you can get in trouble.........

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Do you know your tickets are going to run over $500 when you are caught with improper tags and no valid insurance?  And you are worried about cheating on tolls?  Can you say penny wise and pound foolish?

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

If you pay the tolls and do not exceed 20 mph through the toll plaza you probably won't get caught. However, because all license plates are photographed and the bill for the toll fees is mailed to the vehicle owner, it puts you on record as driving with an expired registration. If the DMV or State Police were to have any reason to check the Thruway Authority records, you could receive a citation. 

But let's look at the penalty if you are to get stopped by the police while driving an unregistered vehicle with the wrong plate on it.

1) driving an unregistered vehicle: NY = $75-$300 fine. NJ=$100

2) wrong license plate: NY=$225-$450. NJ=$335. Both are misdemeanors.,

3) No insurance: NY=up to $1500 and 15 days in jail. NJ=up to $1000 and license suspension. If you have an accident, it gets way worse.

Do you really want to risk that? Don't be a dumbass.

• 1 month ago

Yes you can, but not by the toll booth.  The toll booth doesn't care, it just photographs your plate and sends you an invoice.

It's not the toll booth you have to worry about, it's the automatic plate-scanning software the cop cars all have.  They can pick up any plate within 100 feet, and their computer can handle about 1 plate every 5 seconds.  The minute any cop spots plates for a Hyundai attached to a Nissan, it's all over.  The Christmas lights start twinkling, you hand over your licence and registration, and the next question is all about if you know why you're being stopped.  

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Let us know what happened.

• Lisa A
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Of course. You can't put plates for one car on a different car.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.