Why are judges to be called "your honorable"? ?

So a former colleague of mine is on trial for a sex crime. He is guilty as sin and deserves life. I looked up the case info to see if he had been sentenced yet. It concludes with the signature of the judge in the case followed by the typing "The Honorable Judge Harry Heiney". 

Why must judges be called honorable? What makes them better then others? I know they are better then the criminals but why can't I be called "the Honorable Jim Jarrett" by those who meet me since I am not a criminal either? What makes a judge better then me? Why is a judge saluted as "your honorable" when others are not? 

It's a title that conveys respect.  It's a title, not a description of their personality or status.

• Peter

Because if you do not show the proper degree of respect for the court you spend up to 30 days in jail for each count of contempt of court.

It comes from ancient practice, they are hierarchy too, for example every British High Court Judge is knighted.