Why do people think it’s common courtesy to put the toilet seat down?

It’s not like people are incapable of putting the seat back down themselves or washing their hands afterwards.

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 weeks ago
    Favourite answer

I think it just has to do with making it look more ready for the next user and not like someone just used it. On the other hand I know how you feel. This often brings me back to times as a child when the importance of lifting the toilet seat up was often shoved down my throat, and now it's put the toilet seat down! Anyway, it's definitely an important habit to have down, I learned that the hard way from working in a small business.

• Ludwig
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

I have installed these in all my properties.  My tenants soon get the hang of them.

It avoids the problem of buying toilet seats.

Attachment image
  • 4 weeks ago

I put the lid down too. It is polite, tidy, cleaner and stops things getting dropped inside. Civilisation has reached my part of the world. 

• Females have many disadvantages in life and not being able to pee standing up is one of them. If they have to put the seat down themselves it reminds them that they came second in a two horse race. So it is courteous to put the seat down for them so they won't feel so bad. 

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 month ago

so someone dont fall in

• Kindness for person using the bog (UK)  after you!! Well it is disgusting having to put toilet seat down after someone else used it. Lazy guys ! 

• 1 month ago

I go with the numbers on this subject.  I am the solo man with a wife and 3 daughters, so I just do it all the time after all the years.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.