Can you sit yet?

Do these phrases make sense?

Thank you

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

Yes. They make sense. 

• 1 month ago

Yes, all OK. 'Yet' is an indication of time. ie "I'm not sure when I can play." "Later "Are you ok to play yet?"

• RP
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Yes, all of them make sense.

• Zirp
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Only sort of. Native speakers will use "already" instead of "yet"

They may use "yet" in negative answers:

No, we cannot do that yet

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • susan
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Yes they do make sense, You could also say, Are you able to play yet.

• 1 month ago

Yes, they can be sensible things to say in certain situations. There has to be some implied or context-declared reason that you have been unable to eat or play or sit for them to be sensible.  Like, for example, supposed I had suffered a wound to my rear end and could not really sit while it healed, THEN asking me if I can sit yet would be sensible.  However, if you simply asked such a question without any context, the person would consider you an idiot, because I could always play, eat, and sit as a general thing so why even ask?  I cannot remember any point in my life where I was incapable of doing such simple tasks.

It is not like asking "Can you ride a bike yet?" to some kid, or asking a teenager if he can legally drive yet, or if a person can vote yet (which is asking if they are old enough to be permitted to vote).

• John P
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

'Can you play yet?' sort of makes sense, in the context of a young child asking a friend of similar age if he is allowed out to play.  My form would be "Are you ready to play yet?"

I cannot  imagine using the other two in any context.  

Really, forget that form of: 'Can you.....yet?' in any context unless you come across it an any writing which you know is by a native speaker of British or American English. Then take careful note of the context of how those phrases are used.

Note that 'already' at the end of a sentence is typical of a Jewish person speaking English. It is not typical of a British person. 

Note that Amulyaprasad is Indian.

• 1 month ago

Yes, they do.. "yet" the adverb is used to mean that something could, might etc. happen in the future, even though it seems unlikely. By the way, , these are meaningful sentences rather than phrases.

They can win yet.

• 1 month ago

it sounds okay to me

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.