Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicMovies · 1 month ago

Why does American film industry hire foreign actors to play American roles?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

It's usually because American Actors of a high caliber cost more, so Hollywood goes the cheapest route. You can find great actors from the UK and other countries playing American characters. Their accents may slip a lot (Sophie Turner), but  they are usually much better at actors than your lower caliber American actors.

• 1 month ago

Foreign actors are MUCH better at doing accents than US actors, so it doesn't really impede them most of the time.  As long as the actor does a good job, who cares where they're from.  

But have you ever heard an American do a British accent?  I'm not British, but I've heard enough real British accents that Americans doing British sounds like fingernails on a chalkboard.  We suck at it.  But it makes sense that we suck at it.  The US is very large and very removed from the rest of the world.  Most Americans just don't have much cause to learn foreign languages or accents.

But folks from Britain or NZ or Australia...even if they're very remote (like NZ and Australia), they have reason to learn US accents to break into the US film industry (which is more lucrative).  So they put the time in to do it well.  

There are some foreign actors and actresses that I had no idea were foreign until I read that they were.  Which is how it ought to be.  You're an actor...act!

• Pearl
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

you need to ask them this question

• 1 month ago

They hire whoever will bring in more revenue.  It's a business, not a public service.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

Because America isn't a race. 

• Lisa A
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

The American film industry is not in America any more.  It is in Canada, for the higher budget films. And in Romania for starvation level budgets.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.