Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 1 month ago

Do dogs need grains?

What is your opinion on giving a dog strictly grain free? My vet called it a human myth that dogs don’t need grains.

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Amber
    Lv 5
    1 month ago
    Favourite answer

I would listen to the vet since they are TRAINED and know what they are talking about. Very unlikely they would give out bad advice for so many reasons - the last thing they want is it to bite them on the backside. Commercial businesses want money so they are constantly peddling their products and trying to convince people what dogs should be eating. Dogs and wolves are separated by thousands of years of evolution and environmental differences. Wolves can eat raw food, doesn't mean that's good for all dogs. Some dogs have digestive problems for example, using poor breeding or just bad luck. Or are old and have a low immune system. In the wild wolves rarely make it to 12 and many die much younger. My dog is eighteen. If she were wild she'd be dead now because she requires cooked meals mashed for her for she can eat them as she has few teeth left. That's what people forget.

If the vet says it's ok, then it's ok. I really wouldn't listen to a bunch of "know it all experts" on here because they don't know as much as a vet. Most would like to think they do, but they don't.

• Pearl
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

depends on the dog

• Lisa A
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Dogs are omnivores. They should eat a diet of varied ingredients.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Dogs don’t need grains to survive. In fact dogs could live off an entirely vegan diet. However, grains are an excellent source or nutrients for your dog and will maintain him better in the long run. 

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 month ago

Nope hence they have pointed teeth donating dogs to be carnivors.

Attachment image
    Source(s): He survives and eats very well on these and there aint a grain about them either other than their stomach contents. That is.........
  • 1 month ago

Yeah, whatever you do don't listen to the vetinary professional, ask a bunch of random strangers on the net instead.  Clearly in this case the pet is smarter than the owner.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.