Is my co worker nosey for asking how much my bonus check was?

At work my co workers and I are getting a bonus check. My nosey co worker asked me how much was my bonus check was. I told my co worker that I didn't know and she's like you didn't check? 

My checks go into my checking account. 

• Adam

Nothing good comes out of sharing wage/bonus information, if she asks again just say it’s not something you think you should say and cut the conversation. A lot of nosey people at my work too

YOU:

"Aw man!  You got a bonus check?!  Wish I woulda gotten one."

Always make them feel like the superior one.  Little white lies.  It's a workplace survival strategy.

sure, but that is natural.

1. a company cannot prohibit you, nor punish you, in fact cannot even say anything about it to you, for discussing any compensation you get from the company.  For example, for a company to tell you or even suggest to you not to talk about your benefits or income with other employees, is actually illegal.

2. that said, most discussions of income and benefits between employees usually ends in someone getting hurt since most people view income as a measure of their personal worth (stupid but true) and so such discussions tend to lead to people comparing themselves to others.

Your answer was pretty good since it avoided the mess.

Some below suggested that sharing such information is grounds for being fired.  THIS IS NOT TRUE.  It is illegal for any employer to even suggest that employees cannot discuss their incomes and benefits with each other.  Attempts to control such discussions can get employers fined big time and no HR department would ever use such a reason as basis for termination.  That said if they want you gone they will make up some valid reason to get rid of you.

Yes, very nosy.  If she hounds you about it, tell her it is none of her business, or you could make her feel the piece of crap she is for asking - tell her you got $10,000 or make sure the amount is significantly larger than what you really got.

Just say NONEYA.

• DON W

At most businesses, sharing that information is grounds for you being fired.

In short, don't do it.

Simply say, "Oh, it went directly into my checking account and I never took a look."  If the co-worker asks again, say the same thing, unless the person gets tired of asking.