Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 1 month ago

Opinions on neutering male dog?

I am considering having my male labrador neutered next month, when he turns 12 months old. I’m really struggling with the decision as to whether to go ahead with it , or not. I have been reading so many pros and cons online. 

I know there are health benefits of neutering such as reduced risk of testicular cancer, but I’ve also read that the lack of testosterone in the brain can cause cognitive problems, can increase risk of uterine cancer and also bone cancer???

My only incentive is for health benefits , not to make him infertile.

• "Opinions on neutering male dog?"

Not enough information in that "question". So, moving on...

• "I am considering having my male labrador neutered next month, when he turns 12 months old."

The breed's name is Labrador Retriever, both words needing a capital letter. If your hands are tired, the abbreviation is Lab. - with a dot regardless of whether it is the end of the sentence, to show that the word has been abbreviated.

12 months is too soon.

With one exception, NEVER have a pooch neutered before it has reached maximum height AND had time for the gonads (testes in males, ovaries in females) to send their synchronising signal to the various growth-plates in each bone to "All stop adding length NOW" to the bones on opposite sides of various joints (shoulders + elbows + wrists + fingers, & hips + knees + ankles + toes) so that the surfaces that have to rub against the surface on the other side of "their" joint are as SMOOTH as the genetics will allow. If they AREN'T smooth on both sides, the pooch suffers arthritis then develops hip &/or elbow dysplasia. Labs. are not "my" breed, but they are almost the same size. In GSDs it pays to wait until at least 18 months old, preferably 24 months.

So in Labradors I suspect that 15 months old would be the EARLIEST - but safer to wait until 18-to-20 months old. If you want opinions from Labrador breeders, join some of the on-line groups for hunting Labradors and some for show Labradors, then ask your question AND include the aspects that concern you most. Unfortunately Verizon > Oath dopily decided last December to strip off all the best bits of YahooGroups, and so I've already deleted most of the GSD groups I'd created, and the remaining ones have been told that the same will happen to theirs if they don't wake up and start using what's still available.

There ARE other internet groups apart from YahooGroups - but I don't know them.

❄️ The one exception is for a 🐕bìtch who is mated before her ovaries have sent that synchronising signal. In such cases there are RISKS to the bìtch's development from the too-early pregnancy, as well as the RISKS from a too-early neutering. I get the impression that experts deem that the too-early pregnancy is going to cause more harm to the bìtch (after the bìtch has digested her food, the embryos get access to its nourishment before their mother does, which produces problems such as her still-growing bones NOT getting the balance between calcium & phosphorus & magnesium NEEDED to finish building her bones & teeth to be STRONG) than the somewhat too-early neutering will.

I NEVER have my GSDs neutered, apart from when a bìtch develops pyometritis. The one exception is that 3 years after Tenor was born, his parents managed to mate again before I'd realised that the bìtch had started her "heat". I thought she was too old to be fertile, so did nothing except ensure that she finished her "heat" before getting further access to Tenor. But I was wron...      wro......          slightly incorrect, and she produced a litter from which I kept the bìtch in the photo. SHE decided that Tenor was the answer to a young bìtch's prayer, and so - because Tenor was too big, and his marvellous calm nature didn't compensate for that - ESPECIALLY not to his full sister! HE was hurriedly neutered.

• "I’m really struggling with the decision as to whether to go ahead with it, or not. I have been reading so many pros and cons online. I know there are health benefits of neutering such as reduced risk of testicular cancer, but I’ve also read that the lack of testosterone in the brain can cause cognitive problems, can increase risk of uterine cancer and also bone cancer???"

⚡️1: I've had GSDs since Easter 1967 - up to 8 at a time! - and can't think of any case of testicular cancer being reported in my country.

⚡️2: Many thoughtless lads will claim that their girlfriend's lack of brain power comes from her lack of testosterone. I consider it more likely that girls who are used to being in the top 30% of their class are too astute to bother with lads who don't THINK, and so THOSE thoughtless lads are acceptable to only the girls who are perilously close to lacking a brain at all❕

⚡️3: A male doesn't have a uterus. So that is not relevant to your decision.

⚡️4: https://www.google.com/search?&q=incidence+of+bone... will find you plenty of sites about bone cancer, with Labradors NOT being the most likely breed to develop it. "The Nest"reports that 0.94% of Labradors develop it - that's about 1 in every 106 Labs. My GSD breed is much more likely to do so. Yet I'm unaware of it affecting any of the 8 NZ-bred bitches I've bought, the 5 bitches I've imported from Britain or Germany, the 32 pups I kept for myself, or the close to 280-odd that I've sold. My last home-bred WAS put down because of cancer, but hers was in her belly & "milk-bar".

You need to investigate the RISKS from his pedigree. As it's going to be after 7am before I get to bed, it's not "my" breed, nor have you told us his registered name and his parents' names, I'll leave that up to you.

• "Updated 7 days ago: My only incentive is for health benefits , not to make him infertile."

Whereas it is INFERTILITY that is the goal in almost every case of neutering. Almost the only exceptions were the boys who were such outstanding singers that they agreed to be castrated and retain their soprano voices.

King Les The Lofty - first pup in 1950, GSD trainer & breeder as of Easter 1968

• reme_1

Talk to your vet. It will calm him down

I am with V.  If the dog is properly leashed & contained, he does not need to be neutered and I only neuter really faulty dogs so I can turn away any suggestion to breed (if they cannot SEE he lacks his "equipment".  AND I neuter dogs who are cyptorchid or monorchid for HEALTH reasons.  

I do see a LOT of health problems associated with lack of all testosterone.  When the zinc (chemcal neuter) was still being offered my vet ADVISED I leave a descended testicle (on a cryptorchid male) and do the Zinc neuter & she would ONLY remove the undescended testicle from his body.  She said it was of more benefit to do that than to remove ALL testoserone.  There is more than a higher l rate of several of cancers (including but not limited to: osteosarcoma, cardiac hemangiosarcoma) to be concerned about.  Neutered dogs have TRIPLE the rate of developing hypothyroidism, triple the likelihood of obesity and therefore a number of related issues like diabetes.  Neutered dogs have a much higher rate of developing canine cognitive dysfunction as they age, etc.

These are not "BELIEFS" they are backed up by STUDIES, like a 10 year STUDY at UC Davis Veterinary Teaching Hospital in (very LIBERAL CALIF.)

https://www.champdogs.co.uk/blog/pros-and-cons-of-...

https://www.yourpurebredpuppy.com/health/articles/...

The AVMA also speaks out on the ADVERSE EFFECTS of male dog castration:

https://niceorg.wordpress.com/2009/06/15/avma-spea...

I did neutered a dog at age 3 who had a really bad parrot overbite, but was stunning, until you looked in his mouth.  He DIED of hemangioscarcoma.... at age 8 and had developed hypothyroidism...just saying the stats were TRUE for us.

• Jojo

I suggest you read the advice on the sites below.

https://www.doglistener.co.uk/neutering/spaying_ne...

https://www.doglistener.co.uk/neutering_definitive

https://www.doglistener.co.uk/medical/neuter.shtml

This is a very controversal subject more so in the US.

However dogs DO need all their hormones when maturing and if you do decide to castrate your dog,  then please wait a few more months until he is at least 18 months old. 

If you look at farm animals ; eg: Male Sheep, Cattle, Poultry, etc, that have been castrated at a young age, you will see a vast difference in growth and appearance between Entire animals and castrated ones. 

Its very similar for dogs , and especially if they are castrated much too early at 6 weeks which seems to be widespread in the US. Testosterone in the young male is essential for the male dog to develop strong bones and maximum male  features when adult. 

Please read the info and make up your own mind. 

I must add though that if live in an area that includes quite a few unspayed female  dogs, it may be kinder to have your male castrated  as a male can smell a female in heat from a long way off, and it can upset them and put them off eating and sleeping and they can get distressed at not being able to find the female and mate. 

If all non -breeding pet female dogs were spayed (which is much more beneficial for females than castrating is for males) then this problem would not arise. JMO. 

Source(s): GSD owner for 57 years.

I advise you not to listen to what's being said about castrating a dog - read all the information available, and MAKE UP YOUR OWN MIND.

I do NOT believe in automatically neutering a male, other than for medical need.   And as far as males are concerned, number one need would be retained testicles which need to be found and removed.   If it's only one retained, I think I'd go the whole hog and have the dog fully castrated.   Males who are properly contained shouldn't need to be neutered under normal circumstances.   The only guarantee with neutering a male is no pupppies - and it should NEVER be done in place of training.  Or the owner will be disappointed.   We did have two males castrated after they developed prostate problems (not cancer) in later life.   And I regretted having to have it done as both tended to put on weight, grew heavier coats and went generally 'soft'.

I did, however, spay my bitches if only to avoid having to confine them twice a year for 3 weeks.   And to prevent them upsetting my males when in season.  But they were only spayed once retired (breeding).   There is enough evidence for me to feel it probable that a b itch could develop a female cancer if spaying is delayed BUT again, we only had one who developed mammary cancer when in her 13th year.    And then there's the risk of a pyometra in an entire b itch.

Again do youir own homework, and make up your own mind.   Oh and other than the prostate problems (in later life), none of our entire males developed a male-related cancer.  Also nobody should have their animals neutered before the growth plates have closed.

• Amber

I always have and will neuter all my male dogs. I think it's just being a responsible owner both medically and in avoiding the over population of unwanted dogs in shelters. I've found it calms them down and makes them more responsive to training. The only person I know who didn't castrate her dogs was my aunt because they were show dogs. 

It is never too late to get a dog neutered & I have always had them neutered before they reached puberty so the testosterone doesn't start flowing.  Too late for that now.  He will hike his leg & pee to mark his territory, a male instinct.  He will be more aggressive if he has an aggressive bone in his body if not neutered.

I think you have waited to late but there is arguments about when a dog should be neutered.  Lots of beliefs.  My main issue is to sterilize, stop dominant behavior, prevent the marking & lessens the possibility of cancer.