Which turntable would be your best pick?

Of the ones listed which turntable would be your best pick for long term use and sound quality. Also your number 2 pick and why? Also the cartridge it comes with could be switched out so not necessarily the stock cartridge just the turntable.

1.) Pro-Ject The Classic Evo; 2) Music Hall MMF 7.3; 3)Clear Audio Concept; 4) Marantz T.T. 15S1; 5)EAT B Sharp; 6) MoFi Ultradeck

More air is like the difference between playing an acoustic guitar in a bedroom as opposed to playing the same acoustic guitar in an auditorium...same instrument just more air...

Same basic tones either way CD probably has the advantage with fundamental tones, and yes perceived ambience and or "air" may actually be distortion or an exaggeration of existing ambiance and tones, but it's organic and fits in with the music..Your ears do not find it objectionable and are able to deal with it .Digital distortion on the other hand doesn't fit in its not harmonically produced and so its hard for your brain to justify it..Causing fatigue and irritation...

Ambient sound is sound that is reflected off the walls in a recording studio...Also the decay of those sounds in the background of all recordings...Air is the size of the studio or volume of air inside the recording studio...Its pretty basic and easily understood on a rudimentary level...It becomes more complex when you start to study exactly whats happening to those reflected sounds and how it differs with frequency...

Yes its really hard to decide I can't do it at least not without listening to each product in a demo....I actually have a Pro Ject The Classic that I got through a close out deal, price was probably the deciding factor. I did switch out the cartridge with an Ortofon 2M Bronze also bought at a discount so it was still a good deal for me. I'm pretty happy with it although today I might buy the Audio Technica cartridge mentioned as I see that as an even better deal at discount.

Do your research. Using pet personal terms you've invented like "perceived ambience", "more air" and "deeper sound stage" and personal theories about e.g. distortion make it difficult for you to learn and difficult to explain your wants to others. No one has the time and patience, and if they seem to they might just be humoring you.

The only way to tell if you the sound of a turntable is acceptable to you is to go to some quality audio shops and get them to demo units for you. Listeners' tastes vary.

Re physical build quality, google up some professional reviews, it's no huge effort.

Save your cash, buy an Audio Technica, upgrade the cartridge, and spend your money on better amps/speakers (and vinyl).

Buy the cheapest one because there is virtually no difference between them. You will hear more of a difference by shopping for the best phono cartridge. Unfortunately, Shure cartridges are no longer made and they are some of the best cartridges that anybody makes, but you may still be able to find some. Get a used one if necessary and just change the stylus. 

I am no golden ear, and I cannot hear any of that "sound stage" :airiness or other qualities that audiophiles claim to hear. Music is music and CDs do not have those annoying clicks and pops or hissing noise that analog media add to the music. Personally I have moved on from turntables, LPs and phono cartridges. I may still get a cheap used turntable or cartridge to play some really old records that I stopped playing since I got my first CD player in the 1980s,  but I would not waste my money on new LPs or a turntable that costs hundreds of dollars or more. I need the LP sound as much as I need an extra finger or toe. I do not miss buying cleaning fluid for LPs or cleaning them before playing them. I have better things to do with my time. 

• Lance

I Have been able to demonstrate to myself and others  a deeper sound stage, more air and transients surrounding acoustic guitar and other String or Wind instruments with vinyl...compared to CD...Not on everything but on certain recordings its demonstrable...Perhaps whats needed if your not getting that is a better phono cartridge and or turntable as mentioned above...Recommended phono cartridges to try Audio Technica VM 540; Ortofon 2M Bronze; Nagaoka MP 200; Sumiko Moon Stone...Also with Hi Res Audio that's above CD quality the window narrows considerably...

I realize that these turntables are very closely matched..that is why I asked the question...Its not an easy question to answer, its really difficult to come up with a definitive answer...

I'm just trying to defend vinyl. My question was about which turntable not weather vinyl sounds better or not.

CD gets the fundamentals right no argument there, dynamic range frequency response noise level etc......The transients; decay ambiance; air etc.. is where it falls short...as volume diminishes so does your bit count, At 1/2 volume only 1/2 of your total bits are still in play...so the information becomes less accurate and digital distortion increases as the sound diminishes in volume. ie. Alising Jitter quantization error etc increases...What happens is either your decay is cut short by digital filtering or the amount of error or digital distortion increases and usually its a little of both...many of these sound are right on the edge of perception so you may not even be aware of the effect...You may precieve a slightly smaller sound stage less air or not even that could manifest itself only as slight fatigue or irritation...causing less satisfaction with the music...

Edit:

What you call more "air" - that's surface noise and distortion, not higher quality or purer reproduction. 

The added white noise gives the impression of more space.

--

Personally, I'd not waste my money on any of them.

LP records are not, never have been and never will be a "better" audio source than CD or newer digital formats. That's basic physics.

(The best even hypothetically possible signal to noise ratio from a mechanical stylus is around 70 to 80db; a basic CD player has a noise & distortion level about 20 to 30db better, roughly -100db).

A lot more money may give you 1 or 2 db better than a cheap setup, but it can never approach basic CD quality.

So it depends _why_ you want a record deck?

The only valid reason is nostalgia - the same as a with a vintage car enthusiast, going back to simpler and more visible set of mechanics etc.

A vintage audio system or vintage car is not "better" than a new one, but it's not supposed to be and no sane person claims they are - they are just more interesting and more fun to use or drive & maintain.

If that's the experience you want, look on ebay for a good 1970s or 1980s turntable, get it serviced if needed and put a reasonably decent cartridge and stylus in it.

There is no point spending massive amounts of money on any part of such a system, as audio quality is not the point, any more that fuel economy & reliability with the vintage car.

I still have a JVC L-E22 linear tracking turntable; that's quite reasonable & you can find them on ebay occasionally.

They are often sold because the tracking motor has supposedly failed, but in reality it's often just the old grease on the linear slide that has "set" and they need cleaning and re-oiling, plus possibly a new drive belt for the tracking motor.

I cleaned mine and fitted a new tracking belt some years ago, but it's only kept for sentimental reasons, the same as all my albums, cassettes and minidiscs etc.

[Professional electronics designer, manufacturer - and audio enthusiast - for around 50 years. I lived through the original "vinyl era" & remember the change from bakelite 78s.]

Sound quality should be about the same 

if the same cartridge is used on any of them. 

To be straightforward about it, 

I am not impressed at all by any modern turntable. 

After all, records are records --- they were good in their time,

and it was a Very Long time, but now there are much better media.  

I still buy cheap used records for the material on them,

but Not for their 'sound quality'. 

As such, what I demand from a turntable is a decent tonearm 

and good torque, which very few belt drive models can deliver.