Souup asked in HealthMental Health · 1 month ago

Can a healthy person develop epilepsy later on in their life?

I am a super young teenager. I like to watch lots of videos that have extremely fast and changing flashing colors. If it helps, I have no existing heath issues, but I have OCD, anxiety, and a panic disorder. I’m scared of developing it and I want to know if I could get it in the future. Plus I have no epilepsy spreading in my family. Any health professional could help me. Thanks!

Hi there, pharmacy intern here. Seizures can happen due to imbalances in the body, infections, trauma, medications, or tumors. However, having a seizure does not mean someone has epilepsy. Epilepsy occurs when someone has repeated seizures. 

Epilepsy can develop in people of any age, gender, and race, but most commonly begins in childhood. Epilepsy can develop without any known cause, but without a history of seizures, head injuries, family history, or brain injection, you are low risk of developing epilepsy.

Photosensitive seizures are those caused by flashing lights, flickering lights, checkered patterns, and stripped patterns. They are more likely to begin between the ages of 7-19. 

To summarize, yes a healthy person can spontaneously develop epilepsy later in life. However, unless you experience signs of a seizure, I don’t believe you have much to worry about.

Source(s): Mayo Clinic Cedars Sinai

Epilepsy is a neurological disorder of the brain itself.

Older people can develop it as a response to disease, high fevers, high stress, brain tumors, head injuries and exposure to certain heavy metals.

My father-in-law was in his early 60s when he had his first grand mal seizure and fell down a flight of stairs at work. He later realized he'd been having smaller seizures for a couple of years, but didn't realize it was epilepsy. I don't know how common that it, but it does happen. But your interests will also change as you get older and you may no longer be interested in those flashing videos.

Yes, and it happens ore in people with OCD and panic disorders who watching fast and changing colors.

• kelvin

no.....................

• Etta

Anyone can get it at any age and my uncle was in his 60s when he first got it and no one in his family had it. Why worry about something you may never get until you have something to worry about.